Anyone ever rent an extra room in your home? Would you consider it? What would you charge?

maybe....... um, or not.

I have had a roommate before that moved into the apartment with me and she just split the rent. I haven't rented a room in my house before although I have thought about it many times. The prices on that vary so much even in the DC area. I know people who rent out a room (room only) for $500/month but I know others who pay $1000/month.

I recently saw an ad for a room for $350 a week. I checked on the name of the place and it's an old motel with a bath and a combination sink/refrig/stove in the bedroom section. That would be $1516/month which is nearly twice what I get for a 3 room apartment in my house at $800/month. I think I need to rethink what I'm charging for an apartment considering it's in the next town where apartments normally go for about 35% less than my town.

Never have. Never will.

Most of the people in Stillwater split the rent/utilities by how many live in the house, not by how much space is occupied.

I'm planning on it Memorial Day weekend.

I generously offered Mr Aire that I'd take in a male officer in training for the summer.

(They need homes, like foster pets)

Oddly, Mr Aire didn't go for it.

and your surprised by this? he could be like me or sumptin.

weirdo factor is way too high.

renting a room in your house to someone reminds me too much of edgar allen poe and i have no idea why. it's just :umno:

I'd drive you crazy!!!
So would my kids!

Very Stephen King too. :umno:
And why not you hyper? You're an aren't you?

Reading the varied responses here has caused me to reflect on this some and remember some things too. It was very common to rent rooms out of your home for a number of reasons around here over the past 100 to 200 years. Around the time of the revolution they would have done it to fill any extra space so they wouldn't be expected to quarter any British troops. Until the last 100 years or so the local prep school didn't have sufficient student housing and locals rented rooms to students for extra income. During the war years the influx of workers at the navy yard created a demand for rooms. Fifty years ago I had been in nearly every house in the area doing TV work which included many attics and a lot of those had remnants of makeshift rooms in them. There were two in the attic of the house next door to me, why mine doesn't is a mystery. As new people take over the towns they have a different vision of what the town should be like and they make zoning changes that destroy older residents plans for retirement investments. I am one of those. I bought my house planning on converting the three bedrooms I used for my kids into a three room apartment for my retirement income. IRAs and 401Ks did not exist during my working years so you invested in something else. The year before I was to retire they decided they needed to slow down the growth of new residents coming in. I call it the "now that I'm in, close the door syndrome" so they changed the zoning to prevent me from making an apartment out of those rooms,something that was specifically authorized in the zoning laws when I bought my house. So I may be forced to rent one or two of those bedrooms in my own apartment to survive. 

We actually did try it for several years. But Max always found excuses for not making the payments. :P