I run on the street/pavement in my city. I recently bought a pair of New Balance SL-1 trail runners. I think they will be good in the winter because they have an aggressive grip, but in the summer, they seem pretty stiff. Does anyone have any comments? Basically I am thinking they wil give me pain in the future.

You should really go to a good running store and get properly analyzed and fitted. :twocents:

I wouldn't wear trail shoes on city streets, but otherwise I agree with Jacked Up. While some of the people on these boards wear the same shoes, there is a bit of a variety and what works for some may not work for you. It didn't for me when I tried a shoe that is popular here. The running store is your best bet.

:1:
Bring a pair (or two) of shoes you currently wear so they can see wearing pattern on the soles. They should also ask if you prefer a lot of cushion or not. Based on that information they should bring out at least 3 pairs for you to try.
You should try a shoe of one brand on the left, and another brand on the right. The one that feels better is a keeper. Keep doing that until you find a pair you want to try on.
A true running store won't mind if you go outside and run in them first (maybe 1/2 mile or so)

Speaking from experience, trail shoes are a bit stiffer and they will cause you problems if you're going to run on asphalt/concrete. I would wear them in snow/ice conditions, but I'd limit the mileage (especially on ice). ymmv, though.

i'm not a seasoned veteran by any means but I do have seperate trail and pavement shoes:

Adidas Estes (trail)
Adidas Supernova Cusion (pavement)

I do all my running on city sidewalks.

I don't really have much of a choice. If I take it to the street, I'll probably get ran over by a car. Which is one of my biggest fears when I run. I'm probably more scared of getting hit by a car that being chased by pit bulls or being mugged by some crack head (I probably can outrun them anyways). But getting hit by a car, BIG FEAR.

Anyhow.

Since I don't have much of a choice, what kind of shoes can I get that'll help reduce the harsh unforgiving impact of city sidewalks? I'm 5'7'' weight 130 lbs, small frame, I don't think I'm beating myself up that much with each step.

Honestly there shouldnt be much difference if you use trial runners on pavement. Alot of people do that because the trail shoes are usually a darker color, and shoe wear less.

New Balance Trail Shoes have ROCK STOP which is a shank like material in the sole which prevents rocks from stabbing through.

Now what I read the first post as saying is that he bought New Balance Trainers. I read that as Cross Trainers, which are only rated for 5 miles.

Honestly its all about the #. Please post the series # of the shoe, and I will tell you if it is a good new balance shoe or a very good new balance shoe. And yes they make New Balance that are not good for running as some of you know.

Also post how much you paid for them. The series number and the cost will explain it all.

You buy a 600 series or below, for $60.00 or below, then its no wonder you are having problems.

Go to a running specialty store and get fitted and explain the type of running you do. I wouldn't go specifically to a NB store (though I do like NB), but to one that'll give you a wider variety and a chance to find the best shoe for you.

i used to wear trail runners on the pavement untill recently. during the winter i bought some road shoes for the treadmill and have been wearing them outside the last week. i can seriously tell a huge difference. my heels and arches dont hurt as much and im not getting cramps in my feet anymore either.

but i do agree to go to a running store and talk to a professional. as someone who has "wasted" money on more than one wrong pair of shoes, youre better off spending time looking for the right shoe.