In your opinions, is it better to run and do, say, martial arts on the same day, leaving the next day as a total rest day, or run one day and cross train the next?

In other words, is it better to do this:

S-run
S-run
M-kung fu
T-run
W-kung fu
T-run
F-kung fu

or this:

S-run
S-run
M-run and kung fu
T-rest
W-run and kung fu
R-rest
F-kung fu

?

As long as the kung fu isn't making you sore or really exert yourself, I would definitely do it on different days than the running.

My first reaction is to go with alternate days for the cross-training. "Active recovery" is a biggie for ramping up the improvement curve. Taking complete days off isn't always the best strategy, that's largely why low-impact cross-training works well in a running routine. I'd be apt to think you'd spend your rest days stiffening up from the prior day's double workout versus actually working out the kinks during a cross-training from only a single workout the prior day.

I tend to agree with this too. I take very few complete rest days, maybe 1 or 2 a month currently. I typically feel better doing something everyday wether it's running or lifting. I don't do well on a rigid schedule since the gym takes up so much of my time. I like to do what I feel like when I feel like it. That's what works for me right now. But from what I gather from you, you need a more structured workout plan I think.
That doesn't help, does it? :|

Thanks, guys. This helps - alternate days it is! It's not necessarily that I need a structured training plan, it's just that one activity (kung fu) IS structured, and the other (running) is not. I wasn't sure if 'active' recovery, as jrjo puts it was prefered over just plain old recovery. Now I know!

:wiggle:

This has been helpful for me too, since I am trying to get back into some sort of routine of doing different things, not just solely running, until I get used to it again. I struggle with the having a rigid schedule vs. doing what I want when I feel like it, because I tend to find too many excuses to skip workouts when they aren't scheduled, yet I tend to also get overwhelmed with how do I fit it all in if I schedule them.

Deb...or anyone else who does it more loosely....where's the middle ground and how do I go about getting to it here??

I don't know the magic answer. All I do know is workouts have to have some sort of priority. You need discipline and dedication. It isn't easy.

Yech, but that makes it sound so NOT fun.......sigh....whatever happened to just going out and running around and playing when we were kids?

:(

It needs to be a priority, something you want to do. Think about anything else thats a priority in your life, you make time for it whether you realize it or not. Whether its when your family calls or cooking a great meal or a certain TV show, riff raff or working late, you make those things work in, maybe at the expense of other things in your schedule, but because they are priority, thats how you want it to shake down. Its when something isn't your priority is when you either resent the time it does take from you or you don't do it. Or, so I've found personally.
As for RLAG and her schedule, I personally do well with 1 rest day, but thats me, if you can do 7 with the alternating, I say go for it.

You nailed it PF right there. In my business I am continually disappointed by people who seem to want to do it but find every excuse not to. I now know I can't make anyone workout period. It's a huge commitment and I do it cuz I love it, I really do.
And while I love to bring people into the running or workout scene I have become stand offish if I don't get the feeling people are really willing/ready to commit. The greatest reward for me in my job is helping people attain their fitness goals. You make the commitment and I'll be there every step of the way.
In my life the one thing that suffers is my house. Housework unfortunately is not a priority for me. But as long as my house don't stink and everyone is fed and isn't leaving the house naked life is good for me.

I understand that's how YOU are motivated, Deb, but I guess I have trouble with people who appear to judge others for not being as committed as they are. I happen to feel differently about my house, but that's just me, and I'm not disappointed by people who don't spend the same amount of time as I do on making sure everything's neat and nicely decorated and organized. I'm perfectly willing to admit it's my OCD and my inability to live with clutter and mess that makes me commit a lot of time to taking care of my house, and maybe that's part of my frustration, that I can't transfer that OCD to my fitness program. It just seems to take up SO much time that could be used doing other things.
But then again, when I do devote that kind of slavishness to running, I always overdo and get injured. I think there's got to be a gray area in there somewhere....a way to balance your priorities and not necessarily "live" for one or other, or is there?

And I hope I didn't give you the feeling I'm judging anyone cuz they are not as committed to their fitness as I am. I am not. I'm saying the commitmned I make is my motivation and it frustrates me to see others fail. If you don't like what your doing how do you motivate yourself to do it? I honestly don't know, that's what I'm saying.

I agree with what Cheryl and JU said above. It takes a commitment and needs to be a priority or it just won't happen, but the committment doesn't need to be that you will run every day, it can be that you will run once a week. For me I need to make those decisions up front, if I don't it won't happen. We all have busy lives and need to juggle our priorities, it all comes down to which onces we are going to catch and which we going to let fall.

I didn't mean to sound like I was judging, its just how I feel for me personally. I've just come to realize I can't and won't do it all, so you should focus on the things you really want or need to do (its that whole glass ball theory, the others are rubber and will bounce back but certain things have to be a priority) Actually right now my priorities are with school and work, so when I can't fit a workout in, I don't. I don't like it, but when it comes down to a fun run through the park or an extra hour of studying to make the better grade...right now for me I'm making the grade. But its also a constant flux. In a month I might be making time for the next season of South Park. Then making time to date someone. Or whatever. And honestly, if I keep the pace I'm doing, in a year I should graduate as planned and get the job I want and have no problem with working full time and having plenty of time to train for something fun again. In the meantime, I'm okay with the few workouts I can squeeze in because I know I'm achieving my goals, which right now are non-running related. If that makes sense.

I'm not sure either but I think this is hard for me because fitness is my business. I have finally learned that I can try to motivate people to the best of my ability but they need to get to the gym so I can motivate them. I feel I've failed if you aren't reaching your goals. And really, that is so untrue, right?

Here's an example. I have a friend who has repeatedly said she wants to do this. She tells me she's coming to the gym tomorrow and then don't show up. I ask why and she says "well my sister called and asked me to help paint her bedroom." :? That just frustrates me. :|