Hello. My girlfriend and I have been in a serious relationship for more than seven months now. We're both virgins, and we're probably just weeks away from having sex. Due to an ovarian cyst, she's been on Sprintec (3 weeks hormone, 1 week placebo) for about 8 months now. We had 'the talk" a few months ago, and we've agreed that when the time is right, I'll also wear condoms (best, most reliable brand, anyone?). I've been told and I've read numerous times that 'the pill,' when taken everyday AND at approximately the same time, is 99.9% effective. Also, I've read that condoms, when used consistently, correctly and carefully, are 97%-98% effective.

Maybe it's my inexperience (or paranoia), but I'm still very worried about the chances of impregnating my girlfriend, even while using these two methods concurrently, consistently and carefully. I know that women sometimes forget to take their pills, and condoms break, slip off inside, aren't put on soon enough, or even at all. But assuming the 'human factor' isn't a factor, how much safer are we? Based on the percentages, is there anyway to "calculate" the odds of getting pregant while practicing these two methods of birth control simultaneously, and under all the proper conditions? What should we be most concerned about - carelessness, or faulty birth control?

I appreciate any honest and real advice. Thanks in advance!

Hello

First .. well done for thinking about things so in depth and not just rushing into anything.

It sounds like you and your girlfriend are being very sensible about things, and of course useing condoms has other health benefits too.
as for calculating the odds.. I don't think you can in reality. You could say that useing both methods the chances of an unwanted pregnancy would be quite slim.. but then the chances of winning the lottery are quite slim too and people still win the lottery don't they?

But all you can do is protect yourselves well and it certainly sounds like your doing that.

Nothing is 100%, but by using condoms and the PILL you will be getting about as close as someone can get!

Some people also use spermicides, or sponges with the pill, so what you and your g/f are doing is not unusual =)

How wonderful that you both have taken time to discuss things, and are ready!

I have always liked Lifestyles condoms... I am married and use an IUD for birth control, so I do not use condoms...

BUT in the past I have used lifestyles because I cannot use hormonal birth control, and for me lifestyles condoms seemed to work very well. ESPECIALLY the XTRA sensitive =)

Yes, you're doing a great job of making sure this is the thing to do. The other replies are good and I just wanted to add that condoms do have an expiration date, so try to make sure you have ones that are fresh. The older they are the drier they get and more likely to break. For your first time, a lubricant might be a good idea too - make sure she's moist and your condom is too which will make it easier and also help to keep the condom from breaking.

Thanks to everyone for their kind, supportive and helpful advice! Other replies from other sites have been very hasty and ignorant, and I'm grateful for the kind of advice I got here. Thanks again.

YOUR welcome =)

It is not an unusual question, because as a healthcare worker I hear about lots of people 'doubling up'..