Hi all. I’ve lately been experiencing severe migraines, and even went to my doc but he wouldn’t prescribe me a thing for it... I really need something, but just don’t know what... What do you think of Depakote and Effexor?? Should I try using them??? Any comments??

My first comment is – get another doctor!!! If yours doesn’t want to help you with the migraines you have, then you should look for another. As for the meds you’ve mentoined, Depacote is considered as a first line preventive medications for migraine. It is a good choice and should help you a lot. The average dose is 1,000 mg. per day but you should still check it out with you, I hope new, doc. Effexor, on the other hand, has been an outstanding antidepressant with generally fewer side effects than many of the others. While Effexor is less effective than tricyclic antidepressants for pain or headache, its efficacy in anxiety and depression, and its tolerability render it an extremely useful medication.