Hi. My Mom is suffering from migraine headaches. I would like to hear more about migraine pain. How can I help her?

Hi. I don`t think there is much you can do. I can recommend some essential oils I use to treat my headaches, such as chamomile, lavender and peppermint. I prefer chamomile. Migraine pain is severe and it affects one or both sides of your head. It is followed by photophobia, phonophobia and nausea. You have 4 phases, the prodrome, the aura, the pain phase and the postdrome phase. Prodrome phase includes irritability, depression, fatigue, excessive sleepiness, etc. These symptoms precede the headache phase of your migraine attack. If your Mom suffers from migraine with aura, she is experiencing aura phase too. Symptoms of this phase are visual, sensory or motor. Then the pain phase comes. The pain can last 4-72 hours. The frequency of pain and the intensity varies. In the postdrome phase you feel washed out.

Have her track her symptoms along with her period. If they come during mid-cycle or just before her period it could be a drop in estrogen causing it. Check out It's my Ovaries, Stupid! by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet

Only something like 20% of people with migraine get an aura (the pretty lights or flashes in vision). People do have the prodrome phase (pre-migraine, where you can have some unusual feelings or cravings), the migraine phase (which can include sensitivity to light and sound; nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea; as well as the pain), and the postdrome (where the patient may be exhausted or euphoric or depressed).

I like the book by Dr. Christina Peterson called The Woman's Migraine Survival Guide. It has a lot of information about both traditional medical treatments and less-traditional treatments such as supplements (she is a fan of calcium-magnesium). Dr. Peterson gets it, because she gets migraines herself (and even took her medical board exam with an active migraine).

If she doesn't already, your mom should keep a headache diary. Note in the diary where the headache hits, if the pain moves how it moves, what kind of pain it is (stabbing, throbbing, constant, pressure, etc.), rate the pain on a 1 to 10 scale (1 is mildest, 10 is the worst pain imaginable), note changes in the weather, where she is in her menstrual cycle, any meds she's taken and their effect, and what she's eaten that day. Then she and her physician can look for patterns and maybe figure out what triggers the migraines.

If her family doc isn't helping or if she is having a lot of migraines that are affecting her work and/or family, she can visit a neurologist. It is best to find someone who has experience treating migraine, since they can be tricky beasts.

The newer medications (such as Imitrex, Amerge, Maxalt, etc.), called triptans, are excellent for those who can take them. They are non-narcotic and work well for most people. The medications are available in several delivery methods, including pills, a shot for home use, nasal spray, and dissolving tablet. The nasal spray works very quickly, as does the shot. The tablets take a little longer.

Also, she needs to remember to keep hydrated AND to not skip meals. I get beastly migraines if I forget to eat lunch. Even a snack of nuts and fruit will help. Finally, people with migraines do best on a routine. She needs to be sure to get enough sleep, and to not sleep "in" too much on weekends.

As for foods causing migraines....meh. The jury is out on that one. A lot of times what happens is that someone craves a food during the prodrome phase, then gets a migraine, and then blames the food they craved during the prodrome of the migraine for causing the migraine! But what really happens is that the craving of the food is a symptom that a migraine is on its way. Some people do well if they cut out caffeine or wine or other things, and for others it makes no difference. The headache diary may help figure that out. I know that if I am craving Cheetos, it's time to pull out the Imitrex!

Best of luck. Your mom has my sympathy -- I have "chronic" migraine and am playing "preventative medication-go-round" to try to beat them back.

Over the counter medications such as aspirin may do little to help ease the pain. Natural migraine remedies can effectively relieve the severe pain without the side effects of drugs.

As soon as you feel the first symptoms of a migraine attack, drink a caffeinated beverage. Make sure you drink plenty water for the duration of the headache. Even mild dehydration can worsen headache symptoms.

A warm shower or bath may help at the onset of the symptoms. A warm foot soak is also good for blood circulation.

Ginger has long been known to relieve and prevent headaches. It is an anti-inflammatory and has substances that help reduce pain. . Peppermint can help to relieve a migraine headache. To take internally, drink peppermint tea. To use externally, mix several drops of peppermint oil with lotion or body oil and massage into the temples.

In order to prevent a migraine, you need to identify what causes it. Many foods can trigger an attack. These include cheese, chocolate, wheat and caffeine.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed