Hi im new to this site and looking for answers for my 17yr old daughter. She is not sexually active yet but was advised to have depo injection to help with painful, heavy periods. She had 3 injections in all, 1 every 3 months, however she developed very bad stretch marks right up both legs, even though she had not gained weight. We have been to docs twice to see if there is a possible conection, and they said possibly but its not a recognised side effect. My daughter is devastated and we are now looking into laser removal as it really knocked her confidence. If anyone else has experienced this please let me know.

Yes my daughter is 12 and had her period non stop for 6 months heavy. So they started the deop shots and it stoped the period and all of a sudden her butt, breast, inner thighs and hips are full of strech marks. Yes it is devistating, gonna look into lasers too. That is because there is steriod in it and steriod makes your skin like paper.
We should sue them for not warning us!!

I'm 18, have had 2 depo shots and have stretch marks down my thighs, hips, butt, and breasts. I also have one down the back of my leg. They showed up all of a sudden and are really bad. I have also gained over 20 pounds! I used to weigh 115 and now weigh 136. I am embarrassed to wear a swimsuit or shorts and am also hoping to find somewhere to get laser treatment but am worried about the cost and effectiveness and don't know where to start. Anyone who has had laser treatment for stretch marks please let me know about cost, number of treatments and how well it worked... Thanks :-)

I got depo injections for about a year when I was 17-18 and I experienced severe stretch marks on my abdomen that have still not decreased in appearance or severity. I'm 21 now.

I had the exact same thing. I got on the depo shot when I was 19 for 9 months so I had 3 shots in the stomach. I had the doctor check my charts and I hadnt gained a pond the whole time, I had lost 3lbs infact but I had developed terrible terrible stretch marks all over my lower abdomen. I hate it. I hadnt found anything online before about other people having it and my doctor swore up and down that it wasnt because of the depo shot. It does make me feel better to know I am not the only one. I had thought about just getting a big weeping willow tattoo on my stomach to cover it up ha ha, I am sure its cheaper than laser surgery.

I wish I would have seen this before I got the shots... I got 4 injections and the last one I decided to get made a huge bruise and I started noticing that my tummy started getting stretch marks which got worse through out the month. I have them down my thighs, hips, and belly also a few under my arms. I was about 140 ( which was normal weight for me ) when I started them  and gained about 30 pounds and I was only 17 at the time. I've lost some of the weight since and the marks are faded a bit. Still very self conscious  of them and a day doesn't go by where I wished I didn't get the depo. PLEASE do your research before putting your daughters or deciding to get on this birth control!!

sarah sharkey wrote:

hi i am 18 and i also got the depo they had put the injection in my stomach and 3 days later i had stretch marks all over my stomach as if i had 4 kids and havent had 1. i got them all over my arms on my boobs they popped up everywhere and i have got the same answer u have from doctors. i am recently going to take it to a lawyer because it has changed my life in a way i thought could never happen. i dont even wanna get into a bathin suit i dont show my arms.

I was on the depo shot for just over a year (still have the dose from previous shot, but I'm NEVER going back to get it again), and it completely ruined my ENTIRE BODY, the only place I don't have stretch marks is on my forearms neck and face. I've always been quiet heavy (170-180s) but I never had a problem with stretch marks because I was religious with moisturizing my skin. I only gained 5-10 pounds on the shot so defiantly something that my overly moisturized stretchy skin couldn't handle right? Wrong. I was so very very very wrong. They first started happening on my tummy the were deep and painful to the point I wore a spankx or the tightest pants I could find to keep it from moving because I could feel it tearing. Then I got them on the tops of my arms, shoulders, back, sides (all the way up), backs of my knees, thighs and the stretch marks that started below my underwear line are now past my belly button. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it, I've seen doctors, dermatologists, and even a "skin specialist" (I was desperate). I'm only 16 (I went on it because I couldn't handle how bad my cramps got and I knew I wouldn't remember the pill), and I now have to live with this ugly shell of sagging, purple sh*t for the rest of my life. I can't believe that with so many cases its not a listed side effect. If I had know I would have never ever got the first shot. The skin lady did recommend retin A micro to fade the stretch marks and it has defiantly helped. It does burn and it does peel but baby powder and cream (alternate days of the retin a and the cream). Good luck.

i am 17 ive been on the depo for 2 years i have them all over my legs i will be 18 in september and im mortified they are all over my lower back and from the front of my legs to the back to my knees i fogured it was where ive gained 45lbs i went from 115 just 2years im up to 163 i feel aweful i feel so fat and gross i went from a size 1 and 2 to 7 and 8s im definatley thinking about sueing ive never felt this bad about my self i no longer where shorts and around my fiance i never sleep in nightys its just long sweat pants i wish i never took the shot please research before you get put on it!!!

Hi gals

I am so sorry to hear this. It happened to me. I am small and I have stretch marks on my side and butt. I got it when I was small. I was not having sex either. The Dr. recommended Depo because of my bad periods. Not to mention the depo had me on my period for ever. I bleed every day. I took it for a year and then stopped it was 3 or 4 shots. Of course the stretch marks are still there. I should sue them. The sad thing is laser treatment does not work well on black skin because the laser makes the stretch marks lighter. So if you have red stretch marks it works. If you have light skin stretch marks on a black ass. It doesn't work. you will still have the light marks I was told. What will help me is getting fat injected into my butt. Depo should pay for this if this is the reason. But with so many of you stating the same issue as I had when I was young. I am shocked right now. And I still have to deal with my stretch marks 15+ years later. 

I just recently got off of the depo provera shot and I will never recommend this birth control to ANYONE! I was on it for 3 and a half years and my stretch marks are terrible. I went from 125lbs to 164lbs within that time frame. I worked out so much and played sports year round and I still couldn't maintain or lose weight. I feel disgusting. They're on my breast( which aren't even big to begin with), all over my hips (dark purple), and they cover my thighs. I am 5'9", which my doctor says is a pretty good height for what I weigh, but I feel disgusting. I never had to watch my weight and even when I do, the stretch marks come like crazy. I seriously have never felt so low in my life than I do now. I am 19 years old and I refuse to go swimming. I get self conscious even showering or walking around in underwear and a bra in front of my boyfriend, whom I've been with for 4 years. Nobody may notice them, but I know they're there and I feel like that's all anybody sees. I really wish I never got onto the depo. DON'T DO IT!! I can honestly say that it ruined my life. ):

Look I feel for all of you, I really do but you guys have got to change your attitudes and quit fixating on it! Nobody is perfect--not at 19, not at 20, not at 26, 29, or 30+ etc! You have stretch marks? Big deal; get over it. Lots of people have stretch marks! You CAN go swimming; the only person that's stopping you is YOU, not your stretch marks.

Before you get all pissed and angry let me tell you something: i know EXACTLY how you feel--probably, I've felt even worse than all of you at some point. I always took my attractiveness for granted until I suddenly started getting acne in my 20's that got progressively worse. I cannot describe how horrible it is to be so completely helpless day after day as this disease takes over your face and controls where you go, what you do, who you're willing to see etc. Imagine waking up with 3 new giant painful zits everyday in addition to the puss filled pustules scattered on your face; it's disgusting and you don't want to go ANYWHERE or see ANYONE like that. I missed a lot of school and eventually dropped out of college. This kind of fear never leaves you if you allow it to rule you and I definitely allowed it to rule me.

Lest you think that this acne came about through bad hygiene, I was METICULOUS about my skincare regimen--not to mention I was constantly striving to eliminate all traces of sugar, dairy, and processed food from my diet! I was so obsessed with ridding myself of acne it was all I ever thought about 24/7.

I did everything I was supposed to but it eventually got so bad that it left me with SCARS ON MY FACE. As if the acne wasn't bad enough now I had permanent scars that would never ever go away and I couldn't even cover them without my makeup looking disgusting. I cried constantly, barely left the house (bc at this point I was now living back at home and had no hope of moving out) and often thought of suicide. Life sucks and it screws some people over way more than others (i told myself this over and over again).

Anyways, it took a year or 2 (plus some counseling) but guess what? I got over it. Scars fade, however the fear and despair will stick with you for as long as you let it. I still feel it sometimes even though I know my scars aren't that noticeable, bc it's not really about the scars (or stretch marks or whatever); it's usually about something else.

It might help some of you to strive to improve every other aspect of yourselves. Who's gonna be looking at your stretch marks as long as you got a nice body? Start an exercise regimen, play around with new styles and makeup or what have you; just do something to help you feel proud to be in your own skin again. At the same time, you gotta quit with the whoa-is-me attitude and just get over it cause no one's gonna notice these marks but you.

Your daughter is likely a billion times more devastated due to the fact that you've confirmed her worst fears (that her stretch marks are so bad even her mother is disturbed by them!). I only point this out to warn other parents to watch how they react to situations like this. It can mean the difference between complete and utter devastation and maybe just some keen embarrassment. I'll admit that neither one is good but all I can say is when even your own MOTHER thinks your stretch marks are horrible that's when you know they're BAD.

I've just turned 18 this year and got my depo in September last year for reallly bad back pains due to my period and I have gained 2stone and 4lbs in this short amount of time. I had started eating healthy and excersing but I seemed to gain weight instead of loose it. I developed stretch marks all down my legs and my bum which lowers my self esteem and I actually became depressed and didnt want to go outside in the hot weather because of the stretch marks on my legs. I talked to my mother and she has been really supportive and only now have we realised that my depo is to blame for my increasing weight. It's horrible, and I hate feeling this way. The reason I ate healthy and excersied was to feel happy and confident both inside and out and now I feel very unhappy of the way my body looks. I am visting the doctor this week to see if they can help me in any way and possibly looking into laser treatment to get rid of these horrid marks. Definitely never going on this again.

Same here and I just turn 18 not that long ago , I regret getting drop