I have heard that many women expect apprehensively the onset of their monthly menstruation. I realized this is because of the considerable pain and malaise that go with it. I have a friend who told me this condition is called dysmenorrhea, and she said it is common in more than 50% of the women. Now I would like someone to tell me could it be true. I wish to hear more about problem called dysmenorrhea.

It is true what you have heard about dysmenorrhe, and its duration is about 1 to 3 days and leads to impairment of women's vitality. Girls usually experience it with decreased ability to cope with their schoolwork. However, 25% of them have problems with the adjustment to their school environment in case of dysmenorrhea. I think you should know the initial manifestations of dysmenorhhea appear the second year after the first menstruation. They include the familiar to many of us strong tightening pains in the low abdomen, which irradiate towards the thighs, as many women felt. They are frequently accompanied by symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, weakness, diarrhea, and pains in the waist. There may be also headache, dizziness and increased nervousness as well accompanied with dysmenorrhea. These symptoms lead to disorders in physical activity and vitality of women who are normal in every other aspect of their health beside this dysmenorrheal problem. However, I have to say the cause of dysmenorrhea is not sufficiently revealed, we just know it usually accompanies anovulatory cycles. There are some reports that say dysmenorrhea is the result of secretion of hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which are quite convincing.