I know a lot about menstruation and its problems. I am 16 years old and I started with my periods near to three years ago. During this time I learn a lot about this topic, because I wanted to get know my body the best I could, but I realized there is so much about it, which I still do not know. I realized it when I have heard for term oligomenorrhea, where I just understood menorrhea is something with bleeding. Could you tell me what is oligomenorrhea?

Medical dictionaries define oligomenorrhea as infrequent or very light menstruation, but physicians typically apply a narrower definition. It is restricting the diagnosis of oligomenorrhea to women whose periods were regularly established before they developed problems with infrequent flow. With oligomenorrhea, menstrual periods occur at intervals of greater than 35 days. This means women with oligomenorrhea have only four to nine periods in a year. True oligomenorrhea cannot occur until menstrual periods have been established, or under age 16. The complete absence of menstruation is called amenorrhea, while oligomenorrhea is something different. Oligomenorrhea can become amenorrhea if menstruation stops for six months or more, which could also happen in some cases. It is quite common for women at the beginning and end of their reproductive lives to miss or have irregular periods, but this is normal and is usually the result of imperfect coordination between the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland, and the ovaries. It is well known that women with polycystic ovary syndrome are likely to suffer from oligomenorrhea.