One friend of mine has a father that is 55 years old. He had terrible problems with acute alcohol withdrawal, so he seeks for medical help. Friend told me doctor prescribed him Diazepam, which surprised me. I was thinking this is the same drug as Valium, so I am confused. That is why I would like to hear something, what you could tell me about Diazepam.

It is true that Diazepam is the same as Valium, and it is indicated with acute alcohol withdrawal. It is shown as useful in symptomatic relief of acute agitation, tremor, and hallucinosis. Diazepam is also indicated for the management of anxiety disorders, or for short-term relief of anxiety symptoms. Diazepam is a useful adjunct for the relief of skeletal muscle spasm caused by upper motor neuron disorders. Common problem is over-dosage, where manifestations of Diazepam over-dosage include somnolence, confusion, coma and diminished reflexes. In these cases, respiration, pulse and blood pressure should be monitored, as in all cases of drug over-dosage. Important fact about Diazepam is that general supportive measures should be employed, along with immediate gastric lavage. Most commonly reported side effects with Diazepam were drowsiness, fatigue and ataxia. Infrequently encountered were confusion, constipation, depression, headache, hypotension, incontinence, jaundice, nausea, and skin rash. He should know this, so if any side effects occur because of Diazepam usage, he needs to report it to his doctor as soon as it is possible.