I have been sleeping really badly and I have been feeling depressed as well. And after months on end I did decide to go and see my doctor about it. He decided to prescribe valium to me. I am a bit reluctant to start using the stuff. I really wonder what the side effects could be? And I want to wait until I have the answer to this question, so I would greatly appreciate if any of you who has used valium before could tell me what it was like and what the side effects were?

I'll try and make this as simple as I can. Valium is the brand name of diazapam. Diazepam is what is known as a benzodiazapine. These are the class of drugs known by brand names such as Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Librium, etc.

Each have their own unique component, and have been R/x'd for years now. Before, there were only the barbiturates, which are TWICE, THREE times more potent, and thus, the side effects, including addiction, much worse.

Valium actually is one of te milder, and safer of the benzo's, for it is one of the oldest. It acts as an anticonulsant, sedative/tranquilzer for insomnia as well as agitation and tension from anxiety disorders, mucle relaxant, even for alchohol withdrawal! (DT's)

The others are more potent. They are more narrowly defined for one or the other symptoms, and are dosed at about 10x less the strength.
EG: 10mg. Valium= +\- 1 mg. Xanax.

All will have "side effects": a drowsy, groggy feeling when you wake up, is common with the longer acting drugs, esp. Dalmane (flurazapam), which is primarily for insomnia.

Valium is less so, and as long as you stick to the regimen, and do NOT take more than R/xd, you'll be fine. It may take a day or two for you to become more tolerant to it, and not wake up feeling half asleep still. But better that, than tossing and turning, until the sun comes up.

You WILL gradually develop a tolerance, which you should report to your Dr. He/she will then likely increase the dosage gradually, or switch you to a different one, such as Xanax, or Dalmane.

NOTE: While these are known as C IV, or Scheaule IV (4) drugs, as labeled by the FDA, they do carry a slight risk for dependency and addiction.
The lower the number, (III, II) the more potent, and more habit forming/addictive the drug.

This can vary upon your genetic predisposition for it. If Grandma or Mom say popped "Mommy's lil' helpers" like M&M's, it's likely you may too.
Just a thought to consider.