I have heard that one friend of mine is using Librium. Since I did not know anything about this drug, I wanted to read anything. Then I found this drug is habit-forming and person can become dependent on it. Now I wonder could it happen to my friend as well. Could you tell me more about this drug called Librium, and how to know someone is addicted?

If your friend is addicted to this drug, once he wants to quit, he could experience withdrawal symptoms. That is especially common if patient stop taking it abruptly. Discontinue or change dose of Librium, should be done only on advice of the doctor who prescribed this medicine. I think you should also know that Librium is medicine used in the treatment of anxiety disorders. It is also prescribed for short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety, withdrawal in alcoholism, and anxiety before surgery. It is also important to say it belongs to a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines. This drug should not be used if patient is sensitive to or have ever had an allergic reaction to Librium or similar tranquilizers. However, anxiety or tension related to everyday stress usually does not require treatment with Librium. Librium may cause patient to become drowsy or less alert, so your friend should not drive or operate dangerous machinery or participate in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness.

When withdrawing from Librium or any other benzodiazepine you can suffer a seizure. Always seek the help of a doctor in these kinds of cases.