My doctor prescribed me medicine for the relief of severe pain. He said that I am requiring the prolonged use of this oral opioid preparation. I said I will start with therapy but now I am worried a little bit. Since he prescribed me Hydromorph Contin I would like to hear anything about this medicine. I would appreciate any info about Hydromorph Contin.

Hydromorph Contin is a semi-synthetic opioid agonist, a hydrogenated ketone of morphine. This drug shares the pharmacologic properties typical of opioid analgesics. Hydromorph Contin and related opioids produce their major effects on the CNS and gastrointestinal tract. These effects include analgesia, drowsiness, mental clouding, and changes in mood, euphoria and dysphoria. We have also reported effects on respiratory depression, cough suppression, decreased gastrointestinal motility, nausea, vomiting, increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure, and increased biliary pressure. Hydromorph Contin should be used only with caution and in reduced dosage during concomitant administration of other opioid analgesics. Patients should also take care about usage of this drug together with general anesthetics, phenothiazines and other tranquilizers, sedative-hypnotics, tricyclic antidepressants and other CNS depressants. I have to say with including alcohol, because you should avoid this. Respiratory depression, hypotension and profound sedation or coma may result if you do not take care about these stuffs.

how dangerous is this drug, and can or should it be used with clonazapam,or any otherdrugs of this type, orany other mild analgesic?

Hydromorphcontin may be dangerous if not taken with care.

What have you been prescribed this drug for? The drug is very potent for abuse as it has depressive affects on the central nervous system.

The dosage of this drug should be determined to relieve pain without unmanageable side effects. There are limitations to who can use this drug and you should report to your doctor if you have hypersensitivity to opioid analgesics, suffer from acute asthma or other obstructive airway disease, convulsive disorders, if you had a severe head injury or anything else that you find relevant.

Hydromorphcontin carries tolerance and physical dependence risk after long term administration but it also depends to what amount of pain you are suffering from. Withdrawal effects are also common, so when getting off the drug, it must be done by gradually tapering and not abrupt discontinued.

As for the interactions, every other opioid or anesthetics, sedative, hypnotic, barbiturate can increase the effects of these drug, so if you are taking a combination of two or more drugs, doses must be reduced and your doctor is the one who should decided on your dosages.

Other drugs like MAOI’s, beta-blockers and also alcohol can increase hydromorphcontin, so make sure you report any other drugs you may be using to your doctor.