I had muscle injury 2 months ago. I had to rest a lot, had physical therapy that helped me a lot and used carisoprodol as relaxant. I take it 3 times daily. I think that I got addicted on carisoprodol, and can’t stop taking it even I feel better. Does it officially cause addiction?

Well, actually, no. It’s not recorded that carisoprodil causes addiction; it even doesn’t cause any significant side effects when used properly. I used it when had leg injury 3 years ago. I discontinued therapy when got better and have never felt withdrawn symptoms. I guess that you should try with lower and lower doses and not to stop it sudden. But anyway, you should talk to you physician.

You can get addicted to Carisoprodol. My grandma was addicted to it for years, and I have it for aches in my legs, and find that if someone was a drug addict, it can enhance the mind and body to be really relaxed and has the potential to be addictive, in my opinion. I think anything can be addictive if not used properly or in moderation. So be careful!

Hello Uselton,
Hope you are doing well in your life, further i do like to share this information with you that yes it officially causes addiction and withdrawal syndrome. Due to the present sedative properties in Carisoprodol (Generic SOMA), patients who received this drug in the low back pain trails, 13% to 17% experienced sedation, and this may impair the mental and/or physical ability for hazardous task such as driving motor vehicle or operating machinery. The additive effect of Generic SOMA with other CNS depressants like alcohol, benzodiazepines, opioids, tricyclic anti depressants may enhance the seductiveness of Carisoprodol, so appropriate caution should be taken with patients who take one or more than one of these CNS depressants simultaneously. Carisoprodol, the active ingredient in SOMA, has been subject to abuse, dependence, withdrawal, misuse, and criminal diversion. Abuse of SOMA poses a risk of over dosage which may lead to CNS and respiratory depression, hypotension, seizures, and other disorders. Cases of Carisoprodol abuse and dependence have been reported in patients with prolonged use and a history of drug abuse. Although most of these patients took other drugs of abuse, some patients solely abused Carisoprodol. Withdrawal symptoms have been reported following abrupt cessation of SOMA after prolonged use. Reported withdrawal symptoms included insomnia, vomiting, abdominal cramps, headache, tremors, muscle twitching, ataxia, hallucinations, and psychosis. One of Carisoprodol's metabolites, Meprobamate (a controlled substance), may also cause dependence. To reduce the risk of SOMA abuse, assess the risk of abuse prior to prescribing. After prescribing, limit the length of treatment to three weeks for the relief of acute musculoskeletal discomfort, keep careful prescription records, monitor for signs of abuse and overdose, and educate patients and their families about abuse and on proper storage and disposal. Pregnancy: - There are no data on the use of SOMA during human pregnancy. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use