My husband is an alcoholic who has decide –after several failed attempts-to quit alcohol and that’s why I’d like to hear something about alcohol withdrawals. I could describe him as a moderate alcoholic or even severe one for he drinks almost daily and it happens sometimes he start drinking from early morning. Could you tell me something about alcohol withdrawals symptoms and side effects and what about some alcohol withdrawal treatment? Thanks.

Hi there! I got sober after almost five years of constant drinking and remember well those alcohol withdrawal symptoms but I was one of these severe alcoholics and regarding that my withdrawal symptoms were much worse. I even suffered the hallucinations after 7 days without alcohol. Other alcohol withdrawal symptoms might be appetite loss, insomnia anxiety and depression but also high blood pressure, nausea and headache and rapid heart rate. And for these alcohol withdrawal symptoms usually is needed medical and professional care. I was on valium for three weeks to reduce my withdrawal symptoms and I gained a lot of weight after that and also was having some respiratory problems. Valium is some kind of a drug that you could become physically independent of but I had my family support and was under the constant medical control so was lucky enough to avoid some more serious alcohol withdrawal side effects.