I keep hearing about Distance per Strokes and Strokes per Lap all the time. I am not sure why they are important. I can’t imagine how this measuring can help me to swim better. I have to use my power and speed and give everything I have got to do my best. Right?

As you know, swimming is a demanding sport and a great deal of training time is devoted to the attempts to perfect swimmer's technique. Different distance and timing can play important role in overall success and time so various attempts are being made to establish the best and most effective technique. Without sophisticated biomechanical analysis it is difficult to measure distance per stroke in the pool. On the other hand, counting strokes per lap is not that accurate since the distance traveled underwater hasn’t been taken into account. Also whether the lap finished on a complete stroke or not has to be added to the equation. They usually calculate the distance per stroke from velocity and stroke rate over a defined distance in the pool. What distinguishes good swimmers from the rest is their ability to maintain good technique from the slowest to fastest swim. Less skilled swimmers usually lose control at the fastest speed and it is determined by observing changes in stroke rate and distance per stroke.