I have been burping at different times of the day for several days. My burping has been accompanied by chest pain that is similar to a torn muscle, numbness in my left arm, and tingling sensations in my left hand and fingers. I spent 16 hours in the hospital under observation. I was told that it was not my heart after a stress test was perform. I was told it was likely my heartburn and acid reflux. I was given a concoction call the GI cocktail. It eased the burping for a moment. But, I am still experiencing a numbness in my left arm and tingling sensations in my fingers. Addtionally, I am having sharp chest pain when I try to lay down. I am not convinced that it's heartburn that is causing the numbness in my arm. Has any one experience these symptoms and been given a diagnosis. If so, please share.

Gerald,

I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms as you have described the past couple of months, minus the sharp chest pain when lying down. I have had a barium enema which came out good, I just have an upper gi which I will find the results out to soon. My doctor believes it is acid reflux and has prescribed protonix to me in the meantime. I have also had 3 ekgs that have been fine. In addition, I have been going to see a recommended chiropractic who is working on my back for some nerve/vertabrae issues and also to help with the acid reflux. Now that i have been i protonix, some days I feel good, some days not so good. I do still have a lot of numbness in my arm and fingers and occasional radiating pain in my back. You are not alone and I look forward to getting the help I need when they figure out exactly what the root of it is. good luck to you, hope you feel better soon.

John

If you had just mentioned a stiff stomach, burping, and chest pain, I'd suggest gastroesophageal reflux diseases (GERD), perhaps caused by a hiatal hernia. The thing that confuses me is the arm numbness that you also mention. There are conditions that can cause that, but they do not cause the other symptoms as well. 

Under the circumstances, I would press for a second opinion. You want to know why you are having these GI symptoms along with tingling and numb sensations in your hand and finger. That sounds concerning to me. I am not a doctor though, and who knows, perhaps you have to unrelated conditions?

yeah iam getting exact symptoms i have to burp even vomit for it to go away even then i still have tingly sensation left arm asif its half asleep some times a burning sensation in the neck and tightness in my left shoulder blade is this the same as U >?// i havnt been to the doctors yet iam today tho maybe i should of gone earlier :-(

Same hear, Im 31 always had problem with heartburn but the last 6 month i was waking up with a dead arm (left shoulder) now i have started with chest pain and this week i have started with pains in my left hand(rarly right hand) like an ache, i also always seem to have like a knuckle poking in my back,left side under my shoulder blade (almost constant).
some times the pain in my hand stabs same time as a pain in my chest, only mild but its scaring the s@it out of me.
I some times feel sick and get a headache, this is rare maybe it could be put down to worry.

Been to docs, sent me for 12min. tredmill test (think this is known as the stress test) said i was fine???

Week later they got bad again, accompanied by what iv been told were panik attacks, i went to hospital, they put me on a ecg machine, said i was fine? the probes were only on for about 5 seconds!!! can that really tell them that my heart is 100%

Is there any other tests i can ask for?? ever thinking of paying £625 for a full BUPA heart and lung test!

Also doctor thinks its reflux? sent me for the old camera down, how nasty, getting results in 2 weeks, If im still hear!!! The guy who put camera down told me i had a bit of soreness from reflux and no ulser. they also took 3 biopises so i will find out if there was anything there when i go back.

CAN A BIT OF SORNESS CAUSE ALL THESE SYMPTOMS??? MY SYMPTOMS ARE ALL THE ONES THEY TELL YOU TO PHONE AN AMBULANSE FOR!!! BUT IV HAD THEM WEEKS (THEY ARE GETTING WORSE THOUGH)

HELP AND GOOD LOOK YOU WITH SAME PROBLEMS. HOPFULLY THEY WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT SOON.

edy

i m having the exact same problems.. and trying to find out the cause and solution for it since a long time now? anyone got any updates?

I am so glad to see I am not alone. I am 36 years old and have chest pain on a daily basis. It moves around from my left upper chest to the middle of my chest. Sometimes it is pain, sometimes pressure. My left arm also gets numb from my shoulder to my elbow. I have been in for several EKGs and stress tests and nothing. My sister had a heart attack at 37 and my dad at 49. I feel I am being blown off by the docs. I truly feel there is something more serious going on with the heart and they won't look further.

I am a 32 year old male who is having identical symptoms as those described here. Left chest pain (exacerbated when lying down), left arm numbness sometimes even the left side of my face seems numb. I also have frequent heartburn, hypertensive (controlled) and have torn my left pectoral muscle and possibly separated a rib from my sternum a few years ago. I have had ECGs X rays and multiple exams. My PCP has not prescribed a stress test but I will be insisting on one if I do not notice an improvement soon.

I have a background in physiology and have researched the potential causes but I too have found no definitive answer.

If anyone gets anything I am all ears

OMG...I am going through the same thing...but have been going through it for over 2 years. You wanna know what the dr told me it was? pleurisy. I went to the ER for it...had an EKG and a CT scan on my heart...was told it was fine. I got muscle relaxers and pain meds...which helped for...about 12 hours or so. I have been coping with it ever since...just working through the pain as best as possible, but I am going to the dr again tomorrow because it has gotten SO bad that I am having regular panic attacks and sever pain in my left arm, numb fingers, pain behind the shoulder-blade and all that. I will post again when I am told what it is....

If anyone knows what this really is then please post an answer....and I am glad I am not the only one that is going through this.

I am experiencing many of the exact same symptoms in different combinations. I am 23 years old. I will have severely sharp pains in my chest followed by such terrible pain in my left arm that I cannot move it. After a moment, my left arm will just feel numb with some tingling in my fingers. Other times I will just feel a lot of tightness in my chest and upper back, like there is a rod through me. Other times, I know I am experiencing heartburn or reflux because I will burp and it will burn. I do not have health insurance so I cannot go to the doctor. I just chewed some baby aspirin because the pain is so bad right now. I hope someone can come up with some answers soon. I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Erika

Same stuff going on here. It's gerd. The acid is burning your pipe by your throat making it burn. You need to drink a lot of fluids I have found to relive it. The c**p your eating is causing it. Keep takin your nexium or prevacid and stick to a heartburn free and acid reflux diet and you will see results. Stop eating acidy foods and stay on a fat free diet. It will get beeter when you diet.

im going to the hospital tonight... i dont know whats going on. hopefully they dont rule it out as heart burn.. ill flip out.. i have the same symptoms as you and on top of it all i am the moodiest person alive. i will reply and et everyone know wath i found out maybe it can help you guys...

has anyone ever found out what causes this pain?

I'm 41 and have had it for about a month now.

It moves around my breast area sometimes to my neck and shoulder area.

I've had EKG, Stress Test and Heart Ultrasound....all was perfect.

So I really don't think it's my heart.

Any one have any other results to share?

Jim

I have had all of these symptoms over the last 10 years. I know it feels like you are going to die...I assure you you are fine and will not die from this.

Most of the Doctors are clueless, however there is no doubt that its related to GERD and Acid Reflux. Unfortunately for the most part none of the acid medicines work all that well. Several years ago, A Gastro Doctor called it esophageal spasms which causes the acid to splash up into the complex set of nerves in our chest/arms/legs. He prescribed a drug called Limbitrol (apparently there are others out there) It is used to relax the esophagus and it works quite well. I try to use it only during an "episode" as it sometimes makes me feel tired.

The best solution is to lose weight, reduce alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and 100 other foods that cause problems. Just do a search on the internet and you will find them.

Not much time...but would help out further when I get a chance.

hi all,
ive been having similar symptoms to those described on here.
im a 25yo male with no past problems but my problems started earlier this year when i started to have persistent daily headaches for about 3 months so the doctor refered me to a neurologist who sent me for an mri which came back normal. he then prescibed me nortriptyline for 3 months which sorted the problem but while i was in limbo without a diagnosis i started worrying obsessively about dying and having a brain tumour etc! then one night i had what i thought was a heart attack where i felt all lightheaded and started breathing rapidly, i had numbness and tingling in my limbs but it passed in about an hour or two. the next few weeks were ok then i had the same thing again where my heart seemed to skip a beat then thud and started to beat really fast and i came over all dizzy and started sweating so i went to the hospital who did some blood tests, ecg,chest x ray and echocardiogram all came back fine. since then i have been having palpitaions a couple of times a day so my doctor sent me for a stress test which came back fine and a cardiac event recorder which records my heart over a 6 day period which i am currently wearing. i have also been having bad acid reflux over the past few months and i am wondering if this has any bearing on my condition.other tests i have had is a complete blood test for just about everything,2 ultrasounds of the abdomen two or three physical check ups.

so to get to the point i have had a thorough workup for heart related issue all of which have come back negative and after reading alot up on the net i am willing to entertain the posibility of it being anxiety but just recently i mean constantly for the past two weeks ive been feeling lightheaded most of the day ive got constant flushed face and i am getting alot of random chest and abdomen pains with what i can only describe as nerve rushes like adrenaline feelings followed by tingling and a prickly pain in my left arm. does anyone else have this multitude of symptoms or does anyone want to have a stab at diagnosing it? could all these symnptoms be anxiety? or a nerve problem perpetuated by anxiety?

help!!!!!