Well, I've gone to the doctors 3 time in 6 days for tachycardia. I'm twenty years old and i dont do drugs and i dont drink things with caffeine. As of right now i have had all kinds of lab work and two ekgs which were normal, just fast and my average resting heartrate is 112. Every obvious reason for my tachycardia has been ruled out and one of the doctors kind of freaked me out by telling me "we need to figure this out by may, think of it this way..its like a car that idles too fast, eventually its going to wear the engine out". Any ideas of what can be causing my fast heart?

Im 20 years old as well and Ive had the same problem occur only while working out though. The thing is, Doctors take things so lightly these days, they'll say anything for you to get yourself checked out ASAP, even scaring you into it.

Ive had EKG's and CT Scans and everything under the sun.

The thing is, it could be something or it could be nothing.

Maybe lacking certain vitamins or not enough Exercise to hereditary problems like Thyroid disorders or just not eating very healthy and poor sleeping habits,

Even stress and anxiety really take a toll on your heart.

I would say trying to find out more on any of these subjects.

:-)

I am 24, I have had the same thing going on for at least 6 months now. I wore a heart monitor and the doctor told me nothing showed up. I am not over weight, I don't drink caffeine or take any pills. (except birth control, and I wonder if that could be the cause) My symptoms sound similar though. I willl get a very fast and hard heart beat for no reason at all. Sometimes sitting watching tv, sitting at the computer, laying in bed, but most often it is while I am eating or right after eating. I have looked online and many people seem to say the same thing, but no explanation of why it happens.

i'm 18, and i've been dealing with this for exactly a year this month.
it usually happens like after lunch, or after i eat.. then i have episodes throught the day that sometimes like the whole day. I also have panic disorder which makes it worse, and for the longest time the doctors thought it was just my panic disorder that was doing it.. despite the fact that i have an irregular heartbeat. But it beats like 120 sometimes faster, and i can feel it throbbing outta my chest and i feel like i can't breathe and/or my heart is giving out. it happens every single day and i dont know what to do.

Im 23 and I too have almost the same symptoms u all described... It started about 2 weeks back when i started working offshore that i realised i have this "problem". I really hate it when it happens whenever i get ready to go to bed because it will keep me awake for about 30 mins or so before it cools down.It will start pumping so hard i can feel it throbbing outta my chest.It happens also after a meal so i try to cut down on fatty foods too. Sometimes it happens randomly too.

Few days back i visited the medic and he told me my BP was normal and that i should relax more because nothing is wrong with me. The damn thing is whenever it happens i wasnt even nervous or anxious!

Once i reach onshore i will give myself a a day or two to see whether it happens because i work offshore or not.I will go and look for a doctor if the symptoms doesnt go. i also plan to get some supplements to help promote blood flow as well.

im 16 when i do slight work or even take a short walk to the shop minutes away my heart beats exstreamly fast what is it i feel like i cant get enough oxygen but i dont feel pain

Yea i seem to have the same kinda problems u guys are having very similar. Last summer i was in my room and I ate some pizza, the normal pizza i ways eat and my heart rate went up and it did not slow down. It was beating so fast i thought my heart was going to beat itself to death or heart attack. I went to the hospital and they said i was having an anxiety attack i dont know about thou. My heart rate seems to go up after a meal and sometimes before bed. it feels like no matter how deep i inhale i cant get enough oxygen into my blood. i workout and jog, you would think it would just go away but the damn thing is still there. But i try my best to ignore it and think its all in my head.

hi, the same thing is happening to me, fast hearbeat after i eat for the past 6 days. i also have GERD, very severe acid reflux. in 03/09 i had blood work and was told my cholesterol, bp was all within normal limits. when i went to the cardiologist last week, he of course, brushed me off. my blood pressure was 120/80, my ekg came back w/ slight abnormalities (but i also had on olive oil as a moisturizer and the woman repeated it like 4-5 times, when i asked her if i should wash off first, she said no) so i can't really give that much credit to the ekg. the doctor said it was nothing to worry about. all in all he brushed me off. however, my sister had the exact same condition as i did, went to see a great female cardiologist (she is in another state) all her labs, bloodwork were fine except she had SEVERE ANEMIA AND DEHYDRATION. once she started taking iron pills and drinking waters she said her symptoms subsided. i severely reduced my food intake and only eat nuts (pistachios, cashews, almonds) bland soup (chicken, okra, greenbeans, carrots no seasoning except rosemary) and apples. THATS IT FOR THE PAST 4 DAYS. i have lost 6 pounds. i know i can't eat like this forever, but so far its the only thing that keeps my heartbeat from racing. i am going to get a stress test down next week and also visit a gastroenterologist. one thing. if it only happens after you eat (tachycardia) but not while you are exerting your self (exercising, working out, heavy activity), chances are its not your heart per se but another condition that affects your heart. it could be instead gastro, or blood sugar, or low iron. if you have fast heart beat while exerting yourself its probably your heart. i also work in medical disability. either way get it checked and don't let doctor's brush you off. i had to force my doctor to stay in longer w/ me and he barely even checked my heart even though he is a cardiologist. once i get the stress test done w/ his office i am finished with him and will seek another cardiologist (one who cares about their patients) to seek a 2nd opinion. hope this helps. be blessed!

i am replying to the guest that wrote on 4/3/09-14:21, hey i am 13 years old and i have this thing where every now and then, my heat will beat really fast and i can literally see me chest throbbing to my heart, i have gone to the doctor for it and they told me that i have athsma, but that wasnt the answer, i am not overweight and i dont eat alot of unhealthy stuff and so then i went to the doctor again and they said it was because i am having panic attacks or anxiety attacks, but sometimes the episodes will happen even if i am sitting down watching t.v. or sleeping, so that isnt it,and it is not like i dont excersise enough because i cheer and so i know that is my problem i know this may not be of much help but, if anyone knows of anything it could be, please let me know. oh and p.s. if you have this problem, sometimes dirnking cold water usually stops it, or take a big breath in and hold your breath for as long as you can and that sometimes works.:-)

i had this problem myself and all i can say is try not to freak out because it makes things worst than they are i had a heart beat off 150bpm when i was in the hosp and they put me on attenolol. i jus tried to chill out n take things easy 4 a while n try forgettin bout it all i no its hard when all u can feel is ur heart beating in ur chest but trust me this will pass it took 3 month this time for mine to pass but now it has n now im thinkin mines beatin too soft because its been beatin hard 4 soo long hope this helps....

I am 24 years old and at a normal weight. I go for walks regularly and I feel that I am in pretty good shape. I have GERD and do not drink caffeine or much alcohol or eat fried and fatty foods. I have recently started having this rapid heart rate. I went to the doctor and she did a 48 hour holter monitor and an EKG (which was normal). I haven't received my holter results yet. I will become extremely short of breath, my heart will race (so far up to 130 bpm), my arms and face will become tingly and numb, and my chest will get really tight and feel like my heart is being twisted in my chest. Or I will get this pain in the upper part of my lungs (which I feel is from breathing too deeply when I can't catch my breath). The doc told me that I might have something called SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) which might be "cured" by taking a beta-blocker pill. The best thing I have found when I have one of these "episodes" is to lie flat with a cool cloth on my face and remind myself to stay calm and breathe normally. My "episodes" usually last anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours.

Nineteen years old.
5'5".
140 lbs.
My heart has been beating very fast lately. It's really awkward and the fast beating is accompanied by... well nothing. Still, I notice many of you mentioned eating... and I recall having this problem more than once when I was younger(when my parents did not really enforce healthy and consistent eating habits). Since I've lived on my own I've changed that and have a very good diet. However I'm moving back home and quitting my job so to save money I'm buying the cheapest stuff I can find. Such as hot dogs, pop tarts, corn chex, macaroni & cheese, and water(which I actually get from one of my friends filtered taps...I wonder if it's awkward when I walk in with a one gallon). And a variety of other things I wouldn't normally eat that I had coupons for. And in the past month this has happened a couple of times. I'm not saying that's the reason, however.

It seems to me we all really need a doctor to happen along who knows about hearts.

HAVE ANY OF YOU BEEN TOLD THAT YOU HAD LOW IRON? I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS. MY HEART BEATS SO FAST THAT I THINK I'M HAVING A HEART ATTACK SOMETIMES. THAT'S HOW I CAN TELL WHEN MY IRON IS LOW. I EVEN EXPERIENCE SHORTNESS OF BREATH JUST SITTING DOWN DOING NOTHING. JUST GO HAVE YOUR IRON CHECK JUST TO BE SURE.

Hi all. I am 51 and had this on and off since I was 13 or so. Doctors look at me like I'm from Mars. Of course it never happens when they are around! It can happen to me when I make a sudden movement or just when eating. There was a time when I would cut out certain foods thinking that was it. I can tame it (and restore it to the regular rythym) by lying still on either side or sometimes just hanging my head and concentrating on relaxing. I used to get REALLY bad anxiety about it when it would happen (I'm about to die!) but now I just deal with it. Haven't died yet but I don't like it at all! But so few people understand how it feels I appreciate the chance to post and hope it helps someone.

Have any of you been checked out for anxiety? It doesn't only happen to "nervous" people. I'm 29 now, but starting in my early twenties I would seemingly spontaneously get a rapid heartbeat and quick shallow breathing. I wasn't thinking about anything in particular, usually happened while I was doing mundane things like typing on a computer or eating a meal. After 8 years with no obvious heart problems, an EMT told me he suspects I'm having anxiety attacks. I'm normally a very laid back person, my life is fairly stress free, but they can definately feel scary, like I'm about to have a heart attack. And when you think too much about it, it actually gets worse. The best thing to do is see if you can distract yourself while you have these fast heart beat moments. If it goes away when you focus on something else, its probably just anxiety.