I've just recently really started counting my strokes per lap while I'm swimming. Prior to that, I'd only count strokes maybe once a month or so and only for a few laps.

Right now I'm hitting 18 strokes / 25M consistently. If I really, really work at it, I can get down to 13, but that's pretty rare and my speed drops quite a bit. With a good bit of focus, I can hit 15-16 strokes / 25M and still maintain some speed.

Is that a good stroke count? I don't really have anyone else at the pool to compare myself too. My Y just doesn't seem to have too many good swimmers.

I did have mine down to 15-16 and let it slip to 16-17. You should also look at swim golf aka add ups. That is your 50 yd or meter time in seconds + stroke count (SC). The lower your number, the better you balance SC and speed.

My best is usually 20. But I'm shorter than you men. Does that make a difference????