I am new to swimming. My teacher says that I should learn brest stroke kick. What can you tell me about it? Why is it so important and is it difficult to learn? So far I have learned to float on the water and some simple version of a crawl.

The breaststroke kick is a valuable survival stroke. Usually considered as one of the most complex swimming motions, this kick is in fact, a relatively simple movement. It is different from the other kicks. Different muscle groups are involved and the inside edges and bottoms of the feet are used. Beginners can find these differences difficult to master. Breaststroke is one of the four competitive strokes. The most difficult of all kicks for swimmers to master is the leg kick in breaststroke. It usually takes some time get your legs into the right motion. The simultaneous leg action is sometimes described as a "whip kick." Apart from breathing, very important thing is the correct timing of the arms and legs. It is essential for swimmers to develop good streamlining skills when performing the breaststroke. Although it all sounds so fancy and professional it is not difficult as you may think. Just listen to your coach and everything will be fine.