What is your favorite stroke? I’ve only started training swimming and I don’t know much about techniques and strokes. Up to now I’ve learned only crawl and my great wish is to learn butterfly. I think it’s one of the most attractive swimming styles, but I’ve heard that it’s very difficult and I still haven’t learned how to breathe properly so I can’t even try it. What are your experiences?

That’s right! Butterfly is considered to be one of the most difficult swimming styles and it’s very hard for beginners. Other strokes such as, breaststroke or crawl are much easier and they’re the considered to be basic swimming techniques. It’s also one of the fastest strokes. This stroke is mainly difficult because of breathing pattern. Swimmer has very little time to inhale while swimming butterfly. Sometimes instead of taking breath after every other stroke, experienced swimmers with advanced breathing technique and good lung capacity can inhale after every third stroke or even try to hold their breath for the entire race, if it’s a short one, of course. Despite its attractiveness, butterfly is not my favorite stroke. I like to watch it but not to swim it. Backstroke is what I like best.