Hello! I am Marry and I am suffering from low blood pressure. My blood pressure is 110/70 or 100/70mmHg, and I know that normal values for blood pressure are 120/80 mmHg. I have heard that low diastolic blood pressure raises the risk of dementia in the elderly. I am not sure if this is true, but I hope you will.

Hello, Marry! I have to tell you first that low diastolic blood pressure is pressure below 100/70mmHg. Claim that low diastolic blood pressure raises the risk of dementia in the elderly is true. So, you need to visit your doctor and to take therapy exactly as it is prescribed to solve problem with low diastolic blood pressure.

Hallo,
Diastolic blood pressure is the force that blood makes on the walls of your blood vessels when your heart is relax. You heart is contracting all the time and diastolic blood pressure measurer the pressure when your heart is resting, so to say between the heartbeats. The only thing that comes to my mind when you say that diastolic blood pressure can influence dementia is the flow of oxygen to your brain. If your blood pressure is low then it is much harder for the brain and the body to receive enough fresh oxygen to function properly. Are you using any medication for low diastolic blood pressure? It would be the best to be on some therapy that will help maintain normal blood pressure.