Hi! I’ve just heard from my parents that my grandma has the first signs of dementia. I don’t know enough about this disease. My sister told me that grandma will be probably paranoid also. Please, can somebody tell me is it true that elderly people with dementia are paranoid? Thanks!

Hi! First, you should know that there are many types of dementia. But, as I know, paranoia often accompanies dementia. Signs of dementia include short-term memory loss, confusion, difficulty concentrating and paranoid. Unfortunately, the persons with dementia usually change in personality becoming paranoid or depressed. Try to be very patient with your grandma.

Hi there,
Dementia is a condition where the patient will develop hallucinations and false ideas so it is almost inevitable the paranoia. However this is not noticed in all cases of dementia so there is a chance that your grandmother doesn’t have paranoia at all. How long has she been diagnosed with dementia? Is she on any kind of therapy? The thing is that dementia can’t be treated it can only be managed. In most cases progress of dementia is reduced to the minimum so the patient doesn’t have as much as side effects of dementia as she will have if she is not on any kind of therapy. I hope this helped you a bit.
Best wishes,
Marco