Hello! My grandmother is 67 years old and she has memory problems (dementia). She is very sad and concerned bout the fact that she became senile. She has no appetite, she lost her weight, she has problems with poor sleep, and I would say that she is pretty anxious. I have heard that depression in the elderly can be mistaken for dementia. Is that true?

Hello! It is needed to take her to doctor and do serious medical exams to her, because depression in the elderly can be mistaken for dementia. Depression is not easy condition. Depression affects quality of life. The doctor will probably prescribe her some antidepressants to improve her condition. Hope this helps you!

Hello there,

It is possible to mistaken dementia with depression but also you must be aware that dementia has some characteristic symptoms such as: severe memory loss for example if she doesn’t remember how to get home she is probably suffering from the dementia. Furthermore dramatic change in behavior is also one of the symptoms and this can be very complicated because person can totally change her behavior for example she can stop to care about herself and her personal hygiene. This can happen with depression as well but since she is 67 years old it is more likely that dementia is in question.

All in all you will need to take her to the doctor and get the right diagnosis.