Hi, I'm about to have the surgery in about two weeks and I was wondering how everyone has been cleaning themselves after a movement because it sounds like you can't even think about touching it much less wiping it. Please help me to know the best ways to deal with things. Thanks.

I had surgery to have 2 internal hemorrhoids removed on August 12. The best way to clean up is to have a removeable shower head to spray off after a bm. It is also a must to have a bath ready to go somewhere else in your house if possible to sit in after cleanup for pain. I am paranoid to have a bm anywhere but my house, but I keep baby wipes in my purse just in case. So far I haven't had to experience what that would be like to have to poo in a foreign bathroom because I am very regular with the changing of my diet, stool softeners, and fiber every day. Even though it has been a month after my surgery, I still have some pain with a bm (very bearable and I am down to ibuprofen in the morning and in the evening) because my dr said I was not healing as quickly as she would have liked. (I still have swelling, an open wound, and stitches). I don't have to take the baths any more, but I try to take one when I get home because it helps with irritation. I feel the need to help people now as so many others who posted helped me get through the tough times. I hope your surgery goes well and let me know if there are any more questions I can answer. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel can be kind of a long one! :)

Thank you for replying so quickly. I really appreciate your feed back. There was one other thing, I keep reading about people taking sitz baths and I have no idea what that is compared to a regular bath. If you know, please let me know. Thanks.

A sitz bath is a plastic bowl that fits over your toilet that you can fill up with water and sit in. Some people feel that it is more convenient because it doesn't take much water to fill up and you don't have to get your whole body wet. You can get one for about ten dollars at any local drug store. I just sat in the bathtub. i also know that some people would just poo into the sitz bath but you have to be careful because you can get an infection from coming into contact with the bacteria so if you get one, make sure you disinfect it regularly. :)

Also buy epsom salts for the bath and sitz bath, i healed quickly because heat promotes healing and sitting in a sitz bath after the bowel movement was a must for me for pain.  then when clean i dived into the bath for 1/2 hr.  you will have throbbing after bm and the bath helps ease that.  the throbbing can last for a few hrs after bm at first, so i used a hot water bottle to sit on after the bath

After a year i am so glad i had it done.  You are right theres light at the end of the tunnel.