Hello everybody.

If anybody has read my previous posts, I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid removed on June 5th... it was an external hemi and just came on all of a sudden.

First, I'm curious what type of stitches your doc put in? My doc used some type of white looking thread. Not quite as thin as floss, tiny bit thicker. Why do I know this? Because they came out at about 8 days past my surgery. I was applying lidocaine and felt something long and slimy... so I grabbed the tissue and wiped and out they came. It didn't hurt, just felt like I had hair in my butt that was coming out. (gross, sorry) Is this normal? I called my doc, they said if I have no discharge I should be fine and if I had no pain, I'm okay. Just seems weird that I didn't have dissolvable stitches?

Secondly, now that things seem to be going pretty good at just about the 2 week mark.... I'm having a lot of itching back there. I don't dare want to itch, but when I wipe, I just want to go to town and itch or wipe away.... what does this mean and can I do anything about it? I would imagine that it means I"m healing???? No idea.

Anybody?

Thanks.

I had that too. I am guessing it was the healing process. Like when you get a cut on your hand, it forms a scab then itches some , and off it comes BUT when it is internal it takes longer, plus the stitches I think are just supposed to dissolve. You may have pulled one but I am sure it is fine and there is more than one stitch there.

If you are really nervous, call dr.

Hi sheek! Well I'm no doctor but I think it is normal for the itching because I'm going through that right now also... It drives me crazy as well!!! I take my Sitz baths then take tucks pads and just want to scratch sooooo bad but I know I can't, so I just dab down there and hope that it helps the itching.... Ohhhh, maybe we are on our road to recovery afterall huh? LOL... Keep me updated... Its sounds like you are doing a little better than I talked to you last time.... I seem to be getting a little better everyday..... About time! Take care.....

3lovelykiddos, just out of curiosity but if you can't find tucks pads do you know if there's anything else you can use? I think I might've mentioned this before but I know someone with hemorrhoids and I want to help as much as I can. Thanks!

Hi Healthfitguy,

Well my husband bought me some Prep H wipes and they seem to help me out also. He could not find Tucks at one store so he bought me these and I'm currently still using them.... I totally understand the problem for your friend.... Try those and see how they work for them.... Take care.. Keep me updated if this helps....

Thanks for the tip! I know that it's a bit of an odd question but you'd be amazed how some pharmacies don't carry what you're expecting! What part of the country are you in? I am on the east coast and sometimes what's at one place isn't at another. This particular friend is in Iowa and says there's no Tucks there. I suppose if there's a generic I could recommend that too! Thanks!

Hi Healthfitguy,
Ok, I live in Ohio first of all. And yes there should be some generic form of Tucks but there are other types of wipes that will help... Make sure they contain Witch Hazel though, this helps with the burning and itching... I also read that your friend does not have a tub. When your friend has this hemorrhoidectomy they should give him or her a Sitz bath to take home with them after the surgery... If your friend does have access to water (I don't know the situation) fill up the Sitz bath which you put on the toliet with warm water.. I used almost hot but thats my choice... This was one fault of mine for probably not healing as quickly, I did not do these Sitz baths in the beginning as often as I should of... And if all you can get is a bucket, then so be it... I guess it helps soaking your bottom with warm water heal faster and it does ease some of the discomfort too... I never take baths in my bathtub, I am a shower person but I do take my Sitz baths which is very important... Good luck to your friend in having this surgery... You can make things work without a bathtub! Any more questions, ask away.... I'll try my best to help you out... My progress is finally happening except I had a accident in my pants today which is embarrassing.. I should cut back my stool softners I guess... Make sure your friend will have lots of water to drink and stool softners (Colace) but I'm sure they have a generic brand too and lots of fiber to eat or drink. I eat raisin bran and it helps me out obviously.. LOL and I eat more fruits now and I like low fat triscuits as a snack and make sure your friend does not eat a lot of greasy foods either as it will really upset your stomach and may give you the runs. Some people drink fiber drinks, Citracel, etc. Some people drink Miralax and mix it with gatorade but this has a laxative in it.. but it is gentle.... Keep us updated and I really think its great you are trying to help someone out... Thats truely being a good friend! Take care...

Ha well thanks, I am just keeping an eye out because I know it's a hard surgery to go through and at least I'm here and I post on these forums regularly so I thought it might be a good idea for me to try. Yeah, I think that we'll have to use a bucket so I might have to actually go help my friend take the baths.

Do you think that just plain witch hazel will help, or that it has to be in the pads? I think I could pick up some witch hazel in bulk.

The Sitz bath is like a bucket that goes over the toilet bowl and you can sit on it. It is sold at pharmacies.

Hi Healthfitguy,
Hummmm, good question about the witch hazel, that I do not know... I would ask a pharmacist or the doctor about that one... And like Ocean wrote a Sitz bath is kind of like a little bucket that goes on your toliet and you fill it up with warm water and sit on it to relieve some discomfort in the anal area... My doc says I was supposed to do 8-10 a day but thats impossible, I have a family of 5 and one bathroom... Not going to happen around here... I get in there whenever I can! But if your friend does not have a bathtub, get a bucket for him or her because after BM's they will have to clean up so they won't get a infection. And here is where the wipes come in handy too... I used a cleansing bottle (a bottle I put warm water in and I would squirt my bottom after a BM) then use my sensitive baby wipes (way better than toliet paper) and then use either Tucks pads or my Prep H wipes... so it seems like you are in the bathroom a lot! I know I was and still am.... Keep us updated on your friends surgery to come.... And good luck to you! Take care..

Well, I am 2 weeks and a few days post surgery and I guess I feel okay.

My pain comes and goes. I had one good day this last week where I had no pain, but then the next day comes and wham, it hurts again. I guess the pain isn't as horrible afterwards, but it's sore almost all the time now. I still take stool softeners, eating lots of fiber and drink as much water as I can. My bladder is the size of a pea after having kids, so I'm always on the toliet.

I'm seeking a second opinion at my next appt on the 29th- want to see what another rectal surgeon thinks.

Anyway, what are other people's experiences with the pain? Mine is awful, awful...just really sore...almost all day/night. I can't really take pain pills because i take care of kids all day. I'm not sure I want to take them again. I don't know, just wondering???

Ah, thank you so much! I was wondering about that because as you can tell, I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing. Reading these has been really helpful so I'm glad that you are so helpful with it.

And thanks to you too 3lovelykiddos. You two have been very helpful in posting.

Sheek, I'm just checking up on you! Good luck at your doc appt on Monday. Keep us updated on what your doc says and decides to do for you.. I totally understand about your pain coming and going hon, I have 3 kids also, and it does not compare does it? I'm 5 weeks post op today and since I started the antibiotics on June 15th, it seems to be helping me.. I have to take them 3x a day for a month. I have not had a BM in over 2 days, so of course I'm getting nervous... I fear that pain to go every single time! I'm thinking maybe I was developing an infection and thats why I was healing so slowly... I'm a healthy mid 30's woman, so nobody could understand why I was in so much severe pain for so long.... the antibiotic upsets my stomach and I don't eat a lot... I've lost 10 pounds since my surgery and I'm not big to begin with but you know how us ladies are, we always want to lose that extra 5-10 pounds no matter what, but not this way!!!!!!! LOL So I eat wheat toast or something with it so my stomach is not empty... I need to increase my fruit intake I know.. even dark red is concerned about this for me.. I wish I had a appitite, sometimes I do but everything just seems to make me turn my nose up... but I make myself eat! I really hope you get to feeling better... I truely understand what you are going through... and you have little kiddos as I do... just take care of yourself.. and rest... I know its hard with your lil ones... I at least have my husband here for now to help me with that.. so I am lucky.... keep us all updated.... praying for your recovery along with everyone elses.... :-D