I have a hemorrhoidectomy scheduled for 4/12/12 (tomorrow). This will be my second one in 10 years. I have learned so much from reading other people's experiences on this site. I'll post a journal here to chronicle my ordeal. I hope to update it daily regardless of how much pain I'm in.
I'm an athletic 35 year old male with 2 stage-4 thrombosed internal hemorrhoids prolapsed. My first 'ectomy was for an external roid and a 3 inch fistula. 10 years later, I still remember being curled up in a fetal position on my bathroom floor after the first few BMs. I wish back then I had this site to rely on for support and knowledge. I didn't even know what a sitz batch was the first time around. eh
My surgeon didn't give me much info, so I'm relying on this site for everything. I'm going to summarize key points I've learned to help gather my thoughts in case I forget it later.
- Fruits, veggies, oatmeal, almond milk (easier on my system than dairy or soy)
- pantie liners and gauze pads
- Aleve, Tylenol, Advil
- Cough suppressants
- Allergy pills (don't want to have a sneezing fit while stitches are still in)
- Sitz bath basin to fit over the toilet
- Preparation-H wipes (not baby wipes, which contain soaps and irritants)
- Orajel Maximum Strength (20% benzocaine with no alcohol as inactive ingredient)
- Multivitamins (I don't plan to eat a whole lot, so need supplements to help with healing and combat potential anemia from bleeding)
- Desitin Maximum Strength (40% zinc oxide)
Post-Op Ask Doc:
- Licocaine cream
Other notes to self:
- Work on Lamaze exercises and try to do them during my BMs
- Make sure I don't strain, thus popping stitches.
- If necessary, BM in sitz bath basin (probably not a good idea if you don't have a Y chromosome)
- Unless absolutely necessary, avoid opiate agonists (percocet, vicoden, tylenol-3, codeine, tramadol/ultram) to prevent constipation
- Stick to Toradol (5 days max), OTC NSAIDS, Orajel, and Gelclair
- Keep to regular pain med schedule even if pain is manageable
- Stay hydrated (I normally only drink 8-12 ounces per day--will need to multiply this by 5 or 6)
- Transform myself from carnivore to herbivore until BMs are tolerable
- Stay on Metamucil for the rest of my life to prevent recurrence.
Slightly concerned about after-care. The colo-rectal surgery center is a 60 minute drive. Not sure how I'll tolerate the car ride for follow-up exams.