I had my surgery on 2/26/09. I have broken many different bones including my tailbone, collarbone, leg, etc. and this procedure made them all feel like a swedish massage. I had one hemmorrhoid removed from the outside and three from the inside.

When I first got out of surgery I couldn't feel anything below my waist for about 4 hours. So i was thought I was going to cruise right through. I have never been more wrong in my entire life. 8 hours after surgery I was in the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my entire 31 years of life combined. It was just an unrelenting pain that no pain killers could alleviate. Not even morphine. It just made me groggy but it still felt like my butt had been attacked by Freddy Kruger himself.

Next came the gas pains which I can honestly say is a hell all of it's own.
Especially when the the doctor shoves gauze up in your anus, between your butt cheeks and then tapes your butt shut. I kept telling my nurse to take the tape off because I had to fart so bad, but she told me it just felt like I had to fart. Finally after about 2 hours of pleading with her she agreed to take the tape off. If I hadn't been in so much pain what happened next would have had me in the floor laughing. She no more pulled the tape off and removed the gauze between my buttcheeks when I immediately let the loudest most powerfull fart of my entire life. The room I was in was all tile and just seemed to amplify the noise by 100 times.I think I gave her a new hairdo. I was amazed that she was able to keep a straight face.

Next came my first BM. Remember how I said they shoved gauze up my anus, well I had to get rid of that myself before they would let me leave the hospital. This transaction was no day a the beach either. I litterally thought I was going to tear the handycap railing right out of the wall it hurt so bad. But I did have the bm that I thought I wanted to have so badly. Turns out it only added to the pain that I previously thought was the worst pain possible.

But then I discovered sitz baths. Taking a few good painkillers and a sitz bath were the only times I could actually think staight. Man I am telling you sitz baths are sent from heaven. I'm not kidding I bet I have taken
80 baths in the last 2 weeks. I'm scared to see our water bill.

The first week after surgery was was pure hell, but it's gets better each day after that. It's been two weeks now and I am back at work. I am still very tender down there, but everything is starting to feel somewhat normal again.

So in summary, I would only suggest this surgery if it is an absolute must because it redifined the the word pain in my book!!!

Good luck and best wishes to anyone that has had this prdcedure.

I forgot to mention the anal resrictions. For no good reason at all your anus will decide to clench up tighter than well than something really tight.
Which is an added painfull bonus. It also does it everytime you finish peeing for some reason.

Then sometimes when you have a bm you only seem to get half of the job done. If you what a few minutes, you can them give yourself or perferable have someone else give you an enema. This helps you to expell the stuborn fecal matter an extra push out. It worked pretty well for me. But I'm not going to lie, after a bm the last thing you want to do is give yourself an enema. It hurts but if you take nice hot bath right afterwards you feel much better. The doctors told me to always lay on my left side when giving myself an enema. Just so you know.

Sounds bad but it's better than getting constipated. Trust me, I speak from experience!!!

I forgot to mention the anal restrictions. This is an added painfull bonus. For no real reason at all your anus will clench up really tight every so often. It did this everytime I would finish peeing for some reason.

Another thing I encounterd was when I would have a bm I would only seem to get half of the job done. If you waite a few minutes and let the pain die down a bit you can give yourself or preferable have someone else give you a warmwater enema. Which helps expel the rest of the stubborn matter. I doesn't feel good at the time but if you take a hot bath you feel much better in the end. No pun intended. One side note about the enema: My doctors told me to always lay on my left side when performing an enema after the surgery. Before you leave the hospital make sure to ask them for an enema. They will give you one that's much better than the store bought ones.

Doing this helps prevent you from becoming constipated and that is a road you do not want to go down. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Hope this info helps someone.

Take care

gladit'sover, I'm really glad that you posted this because I think a lot of people would benefit from hearing about this experience which seems rather typical. How are you doing now? I know that it has been about three months since you got the surgery, so are things back to normal or are you still recovering? I think that it would be nice to know as I know that other people here on the forums are probably considering the surgery. Are you having normal bowel movements now or are they still off like you had reported a few months ago? Thanks again for posting this!

Yea it's been about 9 months since my surgery and everything is 100 % back to normal. Looking back now having the surgery was completely worth it. But that first week was really rough. This message board is great. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to talk.

Take care all

Gladitsover! wow wish i was in your shoes its 3 weeks now for me and am still in pain after BM i just want to ask u what u eat to make your stool soft as at time my stool is a bit hard to come out its not tough but solid i need it to be creamy ( sorry for that description) I take 3 serving a metamucil a day 3 prunes 2 ripe bananas and a high fiber cereal. I am glad u have recovered take care. This is Jcanboy i forgot to sign in.

indeed very painful i had wisdom tooth extraction twice and it was nowhere near this.

indeed very painful i had wisdom tooth extraction twice and it was nowhere near this. another thing did u still continue with sitz bath after 3 weeks i fear its altering the healing process.

When did the stinging/burning stop during bm for you? I'm 12 days post op and I feel absolutely great until it's time for bm because of the stinging/burning that occurs.