My grand father who is 73 years old has been working in his yard for the last 15 years. He had no health problems before but suddenly he started loosing weight, became weak that he couldn’t go to the yard, and started having breathing problems. We all got very scared and took him to hospital where he was diagnosed with emphysema. Doctors already put him on therapy but told him it won’t do him any good unless he stops smoking. The problem with the grand father is that he doesn’t want to stop. He has been a heavy smoker for years, which probably contributed to this condition. He is very stubborn and won’t listen to us. I would like to know if it is possible to get well even if a person continues to smoke.

Hi! I am a medical student and have been just studying about lung problems. I don’t have any experience in practice but the books say a person needs to stop smoking in order to retard progression of the disease. Some physicians advice regular exercise to maintain physical fitness and even refer a patient with emphysema to a respiratory rehabilitation program. I think it would be best if you managed to persuade the grandfather. Try with the story that you will miss him so much, and that you don’t want to lose him or live without him and that this will probably happen if he doesn’t quit and stuff like that. He may fall for it. I know it is hard and that old people are stubborn and know things best. I wish you good luck!