Hello! My friend’s grandfather suffers from emphysema. He is almost seventy and he still smokes. We go and visit him almost every day since he lives few streets away and we help him in his daily activities. We usually go shopping and do all the things he does with trouble. I often hear him coughing a lot. Is severe emphysema painful?

Hello! Well, severe emphysema can be painful but not always. Some patients complain to painful or uncomfortable respiration and some don’t. Some of them describe the symptoms as uncomfortable painful chest tightness. Emphysema is a progressive condition which affects the lungs. Persons with emphysema gradually lose the natural elasticity of the lung's air sacs, which causes difficulty breathing. Cigarette smoking is the most dangerous reason for emphysema and it would be good for your friend’s grandfather to quit smoking as soon as possible.

Good day!

im from philippines. a son of a patient with severe emphysema. who needs help.

my father is experiencing now difficulty in breathing, restless (no slee), cant eat well and is really in need. he is with oxygen right now, with lots of medicine to take. without this, he cant survive.

as a poor man and family, we cant sustain this for long. i dont want to loose my father. with this, is seeking a help for someone with a good and loving heart to PLEASE HELP US and MY FATHER.

CHARLES KING BACOL
contact no: 09206272925

i am in severe emph-when will i be able to have lung operation is it lung or heart/lung. i was already told i am eligible for operation :'(

Hi:
I've never had emph., but I was once an RT so I know what is happening physiologically. At the end of your respiratory tract, in your lungs are alveoli. Those are tiny air sacks. With emph. those sacs can no longer open and collapse with air, (like tiny balloons). So air does not flow like it should. Emph. has been compared to a slow suffocation. I guess you can draw your own conclusions about the pain. I would imagine that there is some pain, however. What do you think. Watching someone slowly die from emph. should be enough fro anyone to never start smoking or to stop immediately. How has the gentleman's battle with emp. affected you? Are you a smoker, of anything. Have you stopped recently. Has your opinion of smoking changed since your experience with the gentleman?