My grandfather has been diagnosed with emphysema. He has been smoking for over 35 years and finds it hard to kick the habit. I am interested in the prognoses of the disease and possible complications especially if a person continues to smoke. Thank you

In emphysema, walls of the small air sacs in lungs lose elasticity. In time, the walls stretch and create larger and less efficient air sacs that can’t handle the normal exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. One of the main causes is smoking and quitting smoking is a must. The progress of the disease and life with the disease depend on several factors like the age and the damage of the lungs when diagnosed, further smoking habits, and medical treatment and other health issues. Emphysema may cause complications, which include increased blood count, pulmonary hypertension, recurring chest infection, etc. It is possible to continue with your life if you make certain life changes and get proper treatment. If a person doesn’t stop smoking, emphysema will only get worse and then further complications and death are inevitable.

I recently foynd out my 71 tear old Dad has emphysema he has had asthma in the past and has not smoked in many tears,how concerned should I be.I s it life threatening?Any info you can give me will help.

Sincerly Virginia