My grandfather is 69. He was diagnosed with emphysema recently. I would like if someone could tell me more about his condition. Hw was smoking his whole life and now he is not. I am worried about him and I do not want anything bad happening to him.

Emphysema is a chronic lung disease that can get worse over time and it’s usually caused by smoking. Emphysema can be caused by one or a combination of the following things: cigarette smoking, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency, air pollution. Most cases of emphsyema are caused by cigarette smoking because cigarette smoke reaches deep into the lungs and causes permanent damage. The best way to stop further lung damage is to quit smoking as soon as possible and it is never too late to quit with it. Some people have emphsyema because of a rare genetic disorder called Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency. They are missing an enzyme that protects their lungs and get emphysema without ever having smoked. Some people get emphsyema from the combination of smoking and having Alpha-1 deficiency. There is some evidence that air pollution can contribute to people getting emphysema. This is especially the case if a person also smokes. Having emphysema means some of the air sacs in your lungs are damaged, making it hard to breathe causing shortness of breath, a barrel-shaped chest, wheezing, fatigue, losing weight without trying etc. I am sure that your grandfather will be ok.

Anyone diagnosed with emphysema / COPD owes it to themselves to read the new book by Robert Green Jr., N.D. titled Emphysema and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - Therapeutic Approaches Through: Nutrition, Natural Medicine, Alternative Medicine. In this defining and seminal work, Robert Green Jr., N.D. presents the first book ever to take an in depth look at the therapeutic approaches based on nutrition, natural medicine, and alternative medicine that are capable of improving the health and condition of people living with emphysema/COPD. This book, written primarily for individuals who have been diagnosed by a physician with emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, contains the vital information on natural and alternative therapeutics that you and your physician need to know. Please visit http://www.emphysemabook.net

Here are some reviews of the book:

May 17, 2006

A must read!!
As a Holistic Practitioner/Naturopath, I thought the book was extremely informative. Anyone who is in the Natural Health field should own a copy of this book for their practice to help those clients who are in desperate need and have found no relief with traditonal medicine. I feel all who read this will find both hope and help.

Sharon Satterfield ND

May 16, 2006

Useful information for COPD and Emphysema patients.
This book has information vital for the pulmonary patient. Feedback from those who are following the guidelines has been positive, and many more could benefit from the steps listed that can actually result in improvement of symptoms and the underlying condition as well.

Larry, A reviewer

May 5, 2006

Well written with substantial and accurate scientific evidence...there
is a demand for such information by those suffering from COPD, and
their families. My hope is that medical caregivers become enlightened, as
well, with this book.

Robert F. Waters, Ph.D. Professor of Medical Biochemistry and Genetics

September, 2005
Editorial Review
From the outset I have felt that this book is a potential bestseller. It is a landmark book because it explores a specific topic not yet treated before in the way or from the perspective it takes. In a very real sense it’s a history making effort.
I can say positively that the book exhibits an intelligent balance of intended readership between the lay person and the health professional. I truly expect it to be much appreciated by both an average reader (such as an interested patient or patient’s relative or friend) and a trained professional (to include even one not directly involved in naturopathy). I say this because the book is chockfull of very useful practical information for an individual affected by emphysema or COPD, and, at the same time, it contains an abundance of data that an analytical health professional will find very instructive, reassuring, and edifying.
Throughout the editorial process, my impression was “Here’s an authoritative book that a family will want to own for constantly available reference, and once they have it, they will be more than happy to share it with others and with their family doctor and doctor friends, who in turn will hurry to get a copy of their own.” To a lay reader like myself, the great majority of the book is a real eye opener -- especially the discussions on diet, nutritional supplements, and herbal medicine. And the technical parts are a source of comfort in the fact that the author definitely knows what he is talking about.
The book is well written and the presentation is very systematic. The progression of chapters and individual topics is logical. It’s very evident that this is a major work that is painstakingly organized and presented.

Stephen Llevares
Editor
Aventine Press
September 2005