Hello! My grandfather is sixty seven years old. He used to smoke more then twenty cigarettes daily but he quit two years ago. He suffered form shortens of breath and constant coughing and when he visited his doctor he told him he had emphysema. I thought the progression of the disease will be decreased since he stopped smoking but unfortunately his health isn’t improving. I would like to know more about emphysema. What are the stages of severe emphysema?

Hello! It is very good your grandfather stopped smoking. I know you expected at least some improvement when he stopped smoking but you should know that emphysema is a progressive disease and if your grandfather had continued smoking his condition would became much worse. Emphysema is treated with bronchodilators, steroids, antibiotics and oxygen according to the stage of the disease. When all the mentioned treatment options show no results and the lug tissue is completely destroyed by severe emphysema surgical options are also available as well as transplantation of either one or both lungs.