I am so worried about my grandfather. He is 79 and has been smoking for more than 40 years. Recently he was diagnosed with emphysema. I would appreciate if someone could tell me more abou it. Thanks

Emphysema is usually caused by smoking and it is a chronic lung disease that can get worse over time. Having emphysema means some of the air sacs in lungs are damaged. This is what is making it hard to breathe. Emphysema can be caused by a combination of things but the most common cause is cigarette smoking because cigarette smoke reaches deep into the lungs and causes permanent damage. In cases of emphysema that hase been caused from cigarettes, the best way to stop your lung damage is to quit smoking as soon as possible. What is interesting is that people think that feeling short of breath is a normal sign of aging, but they are mistaken. There is no cure for emphysema. However, it is possible to slow down the disease and make it easier to live with the symptoms. I hope that your grandfather will be ok.