I would appreciate some information about Emphysema. My father was diagnosed with it and I am worried about him. Is this condition dangerous? What causes it?

Emphysema is a long-term lung disease that is usually caused by smoking. In emphysema, some of the air sacs in lungs are damaged. This is making it difficult to breathe. Emphysema can be caused by a combination of some things like Cigarette smoking, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency or even air pollution. Most cases of emphysema are caused by cigarette smoking because the smoke reaches deep into the lungs which causes permanent damage. Some people have emphsyema because of a rare genetic disorder, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin where they are missing an enzyme that protects their lungs. There is some evidence that air pollution can contribute to people getting emphysema. Signs and symptoms of emphysema are shortness of breath, wheezing, feeling tired, fatigue, losing weight without trying, feeling like you can’t get your breath out, a barrel-shaped chest, etc. These signs and symptoms will not go away over time, they will only get worse. I wish your father all the best. He will be ok as long as he is monitored by his doctor and taking care of himself.