what if any are the pros and cons of fentanyl in my pain pump.

i have had good luck with this medicine in my pump ,i was on morphine an then delidid. with good pain relife but stayed verry sick,an even with fentanyl i have had some sickness vomitting,headache but only when it has been turned up an it is up too me on how much i get turned up , my doctor will ask me if i think a small medium or large dose is what i want an a couple of times had to small of one an had to go back in a week for another adjustment or gone too high too skip having to keep running to see him an it been to much so i think if you get it turned up in moderation tou will be pleased . i am !!!!!!!!!!!!!

moemcd4
My wife has had a pain management pump for 8 years and she wants it out. She had a spinal fusion in 1980. She was doing very well for 20 years than the pain started. She was taking oxycontin, oxycodine, and valium. Needless to say she was pretty comatose. She was told that the answer to her problem was a pain pump.
Well she had one placed and it didn’t help that much. She changed to Dr. Naga Thota and he got the dosage corrected and she was back in the gym doing aerobics and water aerobics. That lasted for about 5 years and then the pain slowly came back. She started taking more oral meds and then the Doctor added baclofen and then clonindin to her pump. With more adjusting of the dosage she was doing ok. Then the battery died and she went through horrible withdrawals until we could get to the pain management doctor. We went to the ER and the Doctor there was of NO help. They don’t know a thing about the pump.
That was one replacement surgery. Then the catheter got a leak in it and that was another surgery. The withdrawals when things go wrong are worse than you could believe. She wants her pump out. At the height of the infusion her pump was at 28mg/day. She would go every 3-4 weeks to get a refill. She would suggest you get a second or third opinion to find the problem, don’t put a bandage on it. After a long search we found a Neurosurgeon who would fix the problem not just treat the symptom. He went in and cleaned up the fusion and relieved the sciatica pain she had been suffering for the last 2 years. Dr Finkenberg at the Alvarado Spinal Specialty center in San Diego is the doctor I tell everyone about. He is very conservative and skilled; go to him if you can.
Her pump is now at 6mg/day and every time she goes in to have it lowered she goes through withdrawals for 2 or 3 days. Another thing you might do is to talk to your GP, as many of them think it is the worst thing you could do. However they are not in the pain you are so take their information with a grain of salt.
I know this is not cut and dry, but I pray this helps you in your decision.

I was under the impression that because the drug goes into the spinal fluid, you don't build a tolerance nor withdrawl if you stop taking the drug like with oral route. I am getting one in 3 weeks and that was part of the reason I chose the pump after 15 years on pills

I have fentanyl in my pump, and I have a constant headache, as well as an overwhelming feeling of weakness.

It actually doesn't go in your spinal fluid, it goes in intrathecal space. You will have withdrawals if you stop it.