I'm looking for some advice, if anyone could help me. Three days ago, my doctor, for whatever reason switched me from a daily 120mg dose of Oxycontin ER (nine months use) to a 25mcg/h patch. Of course, I started to go through major withdrawal from the Oxy. Called my doctor and she was annoyed with me, saying that I should have had to withdrawal symptoms (!!!!). I had to go to emergency as I could not handle the anxiety. They thankfully gave me 6 tablets of Ativan, which has really tackled the anxiety well. My question is this....once my body levels off and I'm no longer going through bad withdrawals from oxy, will I have to go through this all over again with this 25mcg patch that I've been using for 3 days? If I just stop the patch in a couple of days, will I be thrown back into withdrawal?
Advice is SO appreciated.
Thanks,
RLH

My suggestion to you is to wean from the Fentanyl as FAST as you possibly can. They really should ban this stuff. I am currently weaning from Fentanyl and it is taking FOREVER. I have been on it for 11 and a half months after a severe head-on car accident. The Dr. switched me to it after being on Oxycotin and Oxycodone. I regret the day I ever started taking it. I have been to the ER twice with severe withdrawal. If you don't change the patch EXACTLY when you are supposed to or God forbid forget to change it at all (I have to change it every 48 hrs because I became tolerant too quickly)... you go into extreme withdrawal! It is not fun. I am currently down to about one sixth of a 25 microgram patch. Even at that level if I don't get the damn thing on right when I am supposed to I go into severe withdrawal. The thing is now the size of about a quarter of a fingernail and I am STILL experiencing severe withdrawal from just that amount! GET OFF THE DARN THING!!!!!

was on a fentanly 25 mg patch for (4) months. Stopped and after the second day, had withdrawal symptoms. Fidgety for sure, but after that, not a big deal really.

I have been on Fentanly 100 mg patch a year now and am currently on day 5 cold turkey ...... it is the worst thing I have ever been through in my entire life. What are the clinics I keep hearing about? I am through the vomiting, but still cant sleep jittery and miserable.
My history goes back ten yrs with narcotics starting with Loracet 10/650 up to 120 a month, then Oxycontin 80mg twice daily and then I requested to be switched to the patch when I lost my job and my husbands insurance covered the patch much better than Oxy.. Wow I didnt know what I just got myself into..My Doc referred me to pain specialist instead of giving the Oxycontin back even though it was my own request. Pain specialist was a joke wrote my MD that the poor titration of the patch was throwing me off and this was common for some patients he recomended changing every 60 hrs when in fact he told me in his office he was recommending every 48 but I missed one apt. and apparently really made him mad. Now I am stuck with patches that have me a real mess and my MD will not fill one day early as a matter of fact the 6th day of every month even if 31 days is a month . I have just finished all my testing to find out if I am a candidate for disc replacment L4 and "I am." I see that specialist again Sept 20th to get more details of the surgery.
Finally I decided to just get off these things beings I had an emergency and didn't get to the office for the written script before close on Friday and holiday weekend too. Hospitals do nothing but give you 8 vicoden "wew" like thats going to help. Because of this great pain specialist who can't even get dates , birthdates and many other important details correct in his reports he of course has me pegged as a junky who will request beyond either of their intentions and basically said so in his report to my MD and had only seen me two times. Am I dependant of course I am ,but this pain specialist is a jerk. I took the reports back to his office when my MD suddenly changed attitude on me & I couldnt figure out why when I asked for the copy of the report I new exactly why. Always know what is in your medical record and make sure it is valid or it will haunt you for life. Fentanly is not the answer and if any one could tell me how much longer I can expect to go through this horrible nightmare , like I said 5 days in to this is all and I refuse to ever put another patch on, however the pain and withdrawl is the worst thing I have ever been through ever.....

ya i got 3 ruptsured disc did the whole oxi thing stil get them but i also started shooting herion when i was 17 believe this or not but the key to what u people are going through is synthetic that word synthentic is everything fentynal is the most concentrated one there is.to cut to the chase all u people schould research that subject but u could try doing black tar herion 4 30 to 60 days then go cold tuyky and see how much better u feel iv done this my whole life 42 yrs old synthetic opiets get real deep in your body cuz moleculare structure is so small/ concentrated thats for sure the worst c**p there is quit fooling yourselvs

Here's some information from someone who was a pain specialist and then became a victim of chronic pain.
Fentanyl is a wonderful drug for many people... it is not the answer for ALL people...
There are choices...find a pain specialist doctor to help you. Regular Dr.s dont know anything
about chronic pain... Time to come off the meds? Taper taper taper... as long as it takes.
This is true of antidepressants as well. Doctors arent even aware of the importance of this as the
antidepressants effect the same neurotransmitters as the drugs do. You get as dependent on them.
There is a fast way to detox... find a clinic that does $ 500 they will detox you fast...
I tried this and found it to be just as brutal if not moreso than regular withdrawal.
I was in so much pain, i was not able to eat drink, sleep etc and ended up in the ER>
and being treated like a drug addict...damn ER docs...
The idea of taking something like ativan to decrease detox symptoms seems more humane to me.
If you do the suboxene, they wont want you taking any other medications...which is another
part of the cruelty of this detox...
Fluids, something for nausea, diarrhea... treat the symptoms of the withdrawal best you can.
Anytime its an option wean wean wean... People are really complaining about this? Do they
recall how they got on the patch or these meds to begin with? Happiness is treatment of
chronic pain...improvement of life. If this isnt the case, you might as well not take the medicine.
I cant wait to get off my meds...because that will mean whatever is causing my pain will be
controlled. As for those who will be on pain meds their life, well, thank god there are pain meds.

Own fentyl patch first time left ARM pain is that normal?

yeaaa i hate fentynyl patch i have been on for 6 years and try weaning off it my 3rd day now and my withdrawals are crazy ..i started off with 100 mcg then to 50mcg then to 25 mcg and its hell …its my thiird day and i feel like dying

I have been prescribed 120 mg of Oxycodone per 24 hrs for upwards of 2 years. My pain specialist, recently decided to add the 25 mcg/hr Fentanyl patch (changed ev 72 hrs) with the intention of me immediately tapering off the Oxys from 8, 15 mgs per day to 6, 15 mgs per day, and so on, month by month step down 2, 15 mg pills per day. I must say, I do have an intensely high tolerance to Oxycodone because I didn't even feel the Fentanyl patch doing anything for me what so ever. Well, let me revise that, I did feel slightly lethargic (once I stopped the patches). However, I had a terrible time trying to keep the damn patch on my warm body in high humidity. I was attempting to see what the Fentanyl patch would do for me for pain reduction before stepping down from Oxy's over one month time. After the patch kept falling off due to my hot body (ha!), I contacted the drug manufacturer, since my pain specialist won't return any phone calls (bastard!!) and the pain specialist did tell me to call and let them know how the patch was working for me.....Anyway, the Fentanyl drug manufacturer of the Mylan brand said there are only two types of medical tape you can use to keep the patch on, and they would FedX me some for free since most places don't sell them. On that same phone call, I asked how long the patch needed to stay on in order to feel its full effects. They said a minimum of 20 hours. I had managed to keep two or three patches on for at least that long, consecuatively, and one was on full length of 72 hours. Once I got to the 10th patch, as they kept falling off most of the time, I stopped and didn't put the 10th patch on (this is all in one month's time). I never did receive the special medical tape from the drug manufacturer, but I never did get any pain relief from that patch. The biggest reason I stopped the patch and will not put it on is because of all of the online reviews from chronic pain people like us, who say that Oxycodone withdrawal symptoms are really intensely bad for heavy dose users like me, but they are a "cake walk" compared to having to withdrawal off of the Fentanyl patch. I did notice, after much Fentanyl patch research, it appears my Dr started me on a very low dose; however, now that I hear from you all of the wicked withdrawal symptoms, I will not put any Fentanyl on ever again. I already have to deal with the step down symptoms of the Oxycodone. One dependency is enough for me!! I just hope I can tell whether or not my intense pain is from the Oxy withdrawal or from actual intense low back pain. I guess I have to get off the Oxy's to determine that....!

I was very reluctant to use Fentanyl, I heard so many bad thing's. I was on te Butrans Patch for about 3 yrs. They didn't stick all that well and they are like a big band aid. I finally found a clinic and was put on my usual formula of. A 50ml Butrns, which worked for a good 3 yrs as I took every one one I was supposed to. My Dr. Changed my patch to Fent from Butrans and the 20ml Oxycodon. Next visit she reduced the 15ml are way short and the pain in my upperspine an neck are pain free. But my lower back keeps me from everything even know I practilly begged her to put me back on the original for.formula. Now since she took me down I had to e mail her and explain what was working and has always worked I'm in to much pain again in my lower back, why is the patch only relieving just the to part of my neck and spine. And why dont doctors listen when your body is screamingay you like it dire. I thought I finally go forward without all this stuf.

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of weaning yourself off fentanyl patches as soon as possible. My experience with Oxycontin was limited, but I did notice that the withdrawal from it was severe.
I have been on Fentanyl Patches for over 10 years with morphine meds for breakthrough pain. I was prescribed these for Severe Chronic Pain from back injury and back surgury.
Last year I went from 2 different sized patches 100mcg and 25mcg with up to 8-10 morphine pills on top of that, to 1 50mcg patch and no morphine pills whatsoever. And I hope to soon be done with opiates period, unless given for surgery.
Taking these meds warped my personality and totally confused my thinking. It never solved anything for me and stole more than 10 years of my life from me.
But I am only seeing this now that I am on much smaller amounts of these opiate meds.
I use a TENS unit now typically 22-23 hours a day and 7 days a week. Distraction is the biggest and most effective device for pain. Of course post surgical pain is another issue. Chronic Pain patients like myself are doomed to suffer ever increasing amounts of pain meds and it is not helpful. Opiate pain meds are now known to actually "lower" your own pain tolerance. One of my current doctors mentioned that new research shows opiates messing with your immune system. So you are more likely to get illnesses when on opiate pain meds.

Fentanyl should not be given to anyone in my opinion unless they are monitored in a hospital. My husband went from 45 days of oxy to hydrocodone 10/325 for 2 weeks to Fentanyl 25 mcv for 2.5 days then shot himself at the age of 52. So was he opiate tolerant? there are many people who are overdosed and dead with this drug. SAY NO

I am so sorry to hear about your husband.  And I'm glad to see someone speaking out about the Fentanyl patch.  I'm sure it has its place in treatment but, as you said, under very close monitoring like in a hospital.  That damn patch is how I lost my mother.

From what I understand, the Butrans patch has nowhere near the overdose potential that the Fentanyl patch does; though, I cannot speak for how it affects someone mentally.

I hope you are healing...

I was taking 10 mg of Oxycodone every three hours for almost two months plus 60 mgs of morphine twice daily for lung cancer. It was very hard having to get up all through the night to medicate. Finally I am in hospice care and have been changed to tw0 100 mgs fentanyl patches every three days with virtually no side effects. For the first time in about a year I have NO pain. For me it has been a real blessing, and I had no oxy withdrawal problems! I has worked great for me and I would NEVER change back.

I have been taking opiate medication for about 3 years for a chronic abdominal pain that I had dating back 25 years.

Over the 25 years the pain got worse and when I reached adulthood I had to start traveling for work. I ended up in Rochester MN for work and had a severe outbreak and went to the Mayo ER there (best thing I ever did, they are world renowned for GI type work).

They were able to diagnosis me with a rare condition mesenteric panniculitis, and I started a prednisone(anti-inflammatory) treatment which dramatically helped. However prednisone is not a long term treatment medication, so I was referred by my GI to pain management, and I wish I had never went.

For the past three years of aggressively seeking help on the issue and seeing all various types of specialty doctors, I finally found a medicine own my own (Tamoxiflen)that could fix the issue (believe it or not, it was breast cancer medication that fixed my issue). It took two months on the breast cancer med to resolve my 25 year issue.

Meanwhile, on the opiate medication, I many times experienced severe withdrawal putting me in the hospital many times. So I speak from a lot of experience. I have tried Percocets, Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Mophine (ER prescribed), Dilaudid (ER prescribed), Butran patches, and lastly Fentnayl patches.

Out of all these opiate type meds, the slow release meds such as Oxycontin, and both patch types, did not do ANYTHING for pain. The only thing I found them to help with is controlling the withdrawal.

The past few months I have been taking Oxycodone 30mg a day, and fentanyl 37mcg simultaneously. After speaking with my pain management doctor during my check-up appt. last month, I decided I was coming off this pain medication permanently and I will NEVER go back on it.

So I am on my taper, that I have established myself, because my doctor wanted to wait till this month, and I was like "HELL NO". I am not going through a withdrawal ever again. So, I realized I had to finish my oxycodone first, because if it was there, I knew I was going to take it, and in order to get myself off of everything, I needed to play to my personality (somewhat addicted).

I finished my oxycodone last night, and slapped one of my 12mcg fentanyl patches on to avoid withdrawal over night. (my pain management doctor told me that you need to reduce the opiate intake by no more than 50% at a time, because your body can not adjust to blocked pain receptors, and this is what causes withdrawal, so cold turkey is not smart). I woke up fine this morning, and am having a slight break-out tonight, but its definitely manageable compared to what I have experienced in the past.

I have one more 12mcg Fentnayl patch that I will switch out tomorrow night, and will be done permanently.

With that all said, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you continue taking pain meds beyond their purpose for the amazing feeling you get being high, is going to hurt you long term. To answer the original post here, DO NOT REDUCE your opiate intake by more than 50% over a period of time, the longer you are on it, the longer it will take to effectively taper. BE CAREFUL!!!!