I have a friend whose doctor prescribed him Actiq. According to his words, his doctor seemed to be strictly about this medicine, as it is some dangerous kind. This made me interested, off course. That is why I would like to hear something about Actiq. Can you tell me is it different of any other analgesic drugs we all used at least once in our lives?

This medicine should be individually titrated to a dose that provides adequate analgesia and minimizes side effects with each patient. There are some instructions for both doctors and consumers of Actiq. For example, it is important that if signs of excessive opioid effects appear before the unit is consumed it should be removed from patient’s mouth. After this, subsequent doses should be decreased. This medicine is fatal to a child; each consumer should be warranted about this fact about Actiq. This is very important to know, because this drug has to be kept out of children’s reach. Patient who takes this drug to treat pain caused by cancer, should record usage of Actiq over several episodes of breakthrough this pain. Then it should be reviewed together with physician to determine if dosage adjustment is warranted. When patient wants to discontinue this opioid, he should gradually downward titration, because it is possible to notice signs and symptoms of abrupt withdrawal. He has to be advised to dispose of any units remaining from a prescription as soon as they are no longer needed.