it is been for months now my dad is in pains for the lung cancer and he is now being treated with morphine's as pain releaser but I don't think it helps him the proper way for he started mixing alcohol and morphine and I would like to hear something about morphine side effects especially when it gets mixed alcohol. thanks much!

it is proven that morphine could really help dealing with the pain in patients with cancer but if your dad is mixing alcohol with morphine I don't think he would get help for he would start hallucinating actually and being anxious and would also have increased sleep cravings-which could also may his pain decreased –and generally mixing alcohol with morphine won't do him well after a while he would just feel much worse than ever before and it could only cause him the need of alcohol and drug withdrawal for it is not included if he keeps going on like this he become alcohol and morphine addicted which is usually followed by tough withdrawal period. But on the second thought you haven't mentioned of what stage is his lung cancer so if it is late stage about I think this mixing alcohol and morphine habit won't do him harm on the long run regarding the fact that there is no long run in patient's diagnosed with late stage lung cancer.

I actually asked my Pain Management Dr. about mixing alcohol with my pain meds, which I take oxycodone and extended release morphine. My Pain Doctor told me I could drink alcohol even though I'm taking these meds. However, she said that it had to be at least one hour before and/or one hour after I've taken any of my pain meds, and she said for me to not drink anymore than either 2 beers or one mixed drink. I did do some research on what she told me. I always check on things like this because I don't want to take any fatal chances. Anyway, what she told me was true. It's not recommended that anyone drink while taking strong meds, especially strong narcotics, but that if someone Is going to drink alcohol while taking these types of strong narcotics, then the Very Strong suggestion and recommendation Is just as she told me. Of course, I don't drink anymore anyway. I used to drink pretty regularly, but as soon as I found a very good set of doctors, and the Pain Doctor, whom I've been seeing for almost 5 years now (and really adore with all my heart because she cares enough to give me meds for pain that I need rather than let me suffer and not give me anything), I quit drinking alcohol right away. I've lost dear, dear family members and friends because they drank alcohol while taking percocet and other pain meds. I miss them all terribly. Anyway, I am very happy married now, and love my wife and my life dearly, and that's plenty of reason for me to want very much to stick around and not tempt a fate of fatality! Thanks for reading!