Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on this.

My period is always VERY irregular. Sometimes I have a 28 day cycle, 35, or even a 40 day cycle. Also, these periods have always been heavy. So for the past 6 years that is all I have ever known were heavy blood clotted periods with LOTS of really painful lower back cramps. I started having sex with my boyfriend about six months ago and that is when my period started getting all... funny.

About three months ago- the first day of my period would be very light... like I couldn't even tell, and then the next day they would get really heavy all over again. They have also been getting shorter. Now, I'm having really bad cramps and I had the light period for about 3 days and now nothing! I thought it could be spotting of implantation... but it seemed like to much blood to be spotting. The first two days it was very light pink with a little bit of brown? Then on the third day there were bright red spots on my tampon, and really light pink... So, I'm just freaking out- not knowing if that was supposed to be my period or if I should be exprected another one??? I also had unprotected sex with my boyfriend 26-27 days after the first day of my period, which was Dec. 13th... Since ovulation is usually 14 days after your period I don't think I'm pregnant (but my periods are so irregular I don't know how my body works!!) But I've been reading all over the internet and I can't really find anything that applies to my situation. Please help! I took an "Early Detection" pregnancy test yesterday and it said negative... I'm saving the other one for next Friday... Does anyone have any information? Could this just be a freak period???

Thanks

My periods are exactly the same and I haven't been able to find any information either. I even asked my gynecologist when I went to see him and he didn't provide any additional information. But I think what is happening to you is normal. I too have very light bleeding for a day, sometimes two, and then the periods get heavy. I have irregular cycles, most of the time, although sometimes they do get regular. And yes, what you're describing could be just a freaky period, it happens.
The only thing I can recommend is getting on the pill, orthotricyclen worked wonders for me (although I"m not on it anymore). Regular, lighter periods, cleared up my skin, and NEVER had to worry whether I'm pregnant or not. Because of my irregular and weird periods, I was worried almost every month, but on the pill, assuming you're taking it correctly, you're safe, and you know exactly when your period should start.
The only bad thing about the pill is that your sex drive does go down a bit, but if you're willing to live with that you should give it a try.

Anyway, do let me know if you're pregnant or not. And You should NEVER have unprotected sex. With irregular periods, you could be ovulating even DURING your period as weird as it sounds, so you never know.

I would look up pcos. That is what I was just diagnosed with, my periods are nonexistant (mostly). And I usually range 40-77 days between periods. It sounds fabulous... but I can feel my body justing needing that menstrual release! I do not ovulate, my doctor said that usually when your periods are that irregular you will not be ovluating on your own. (But, you can still get pregnant)