Hi, I am a teenage girl. I have had irregular periods all of my life and have yet to ever have a regular cycle. My docotors sometimes tell me I'm "irregularly regular" although even then i hardly stay to my irregular schedule. I started taking Loestrin birth control about seven months ago because I was getting older and to attempt to regulate my periods. Even with this birth control my periods were irregular with me completely missing some entirely. I never worried about it before I became slightly sexually active. My boyfriend and I have been slowly trying to ease into sex by just doing penetration with no orgasms for either of us. We have been so so careful and we know there has been absolutely no ejaculation. We also know there is no leftover sperm because the rare times that my boyfriend does masturbate he urinates many times before we ever try anything sexually. He has not been wearing a condom as we are both disease free and all the information we have been given has lead us to believe there is no sperm in pre-ejaculatory fluid besides that left over from previous masturbations that should be washed away by him urinating. I am now a couple days late for my period (or that time when I don't take birth control pills). This is not surprising at all for me as this happens almost every time. I was just curious is there any chance that since my birth control is not regulating my periods properly that its contraceptive power is not working? I take my pills religiously and never miss a day. Is there anyway I could be pregnant? I thought I was being safe being on birth control and with neither of us having orgasms (like not even after we stop..we just never have them. we both decided we are not ready for that yet)? I am absolutely positive he is not ejaculating at all..we check everytime. Is the birth control still working from a contraceptive standpoint? I of course am very nervous and I am sure that is not helping anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you're regular with your pills and he hasn't ejaculated in you then it is unlikely that you're pregnant.

FYI, there can be sperm in pre-ejaculatory fluid. It is not likely but is possible. There have been some studies that find a very small amount of sperm cells.

Seriously, use a condom though. It'll reduce any risk and protect you both from disease. I know you said you're both disease free but it is far better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck, keep us posted on the periods.

Thank you so much for your advice. It has made me feel a little better. On a side note is my birth control still working from a contraceptive standpoint even if it hasn't been regulating periods for seven months now?

Taking your bc on a regular and religious schedule pretty much safe guards you from pregnancy. Even if your periods are all over the map, that pill will help guarantee your non pregnant state.

Stay on your schedule and don't fall of course and you should be okay.

Thank you so much for your very helpful information. I was really worried.

Hi, I have a question for you guys. I'm 20 and Ive had PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) since I was 13. Like your topic, this causes VERY irregular periods ad even the occasional missed period just because. I too, am dating someone, and we've been together for about a year and half. We are sexually active, neither of us had been before we became a couple. Long story short, not that we are, I always become really nervous when my period either is late or non existent. We 99% always use a condom and either way he always tries to pull out before he ejaculates. I'm just wondering if because I'm so ieeegular, it would be MORE benifitial if I was on birth control....my mom had a really tough time getting pregnant with me and she had PCOS as well so ivebeen really skeptical about starting it because "someday" I would like to get pregnant.....any thoughts?