I am about 7 weeks pregnant now. My mom was diagnosed with Factor V Leiden 2 months ago and i had to get tested for it since its genetic. My results came in two days ago and the tests say that i do have it. I read a little bit about it but dont quite understand what it is. Also, they said different things can trigger it like birth control pills, surgery, and so on..but pregnancy was one of the things that can trigger blood clots and you have 4 times the risk of something bad happening. Does anyone know anything about this? I am just worried i dont want to have complications. I have had a miscarriage before and now they say the miscarriage could have been from this blood disorder. Any advice?

Hi I was 8 months Pregnant..I found out that I had Factor V Leiden and Protein S Def..Which is very rare I was 30..Turns out I got both from my dad by family genes...The doctor put me on Heprin shots twice a day for the last month..My son was born perfect..I did bleed out very bad almost died..But the point is if they tell you to take the shots DO just dont take 2 shots a day only one...After the birth they will tell you that you have to go on a blood thinner like coumadin. I went to 3 Blood doctors and They agreed for me to take a aspirin a day till I get older....My case is alot worse then yours and im on a aspirin..I do have mini TIA's But they are not that many for the doctors to put me on the coumadin.. You will be ok....Please It is very hard to find INfo on this subject on the computer....

If you have one copy of the gene, it comes from your mom. If two, your dad also has it. It is worse for you if you have two copies. My husband passed this gene on to my children. My oldest daughter was tested. The doctor told her when or if she gets pregnant, she may be a candidate levenox (blood thinner) shots in her stomach while she is carrying. It is a clotting factor, and you risk blood clots easier than most. Any form of hormone supplements can raise your risk. My husband discovered his after his first blood clot at 42. His sisters also have it, and while they didn't know it, carried on a risky lifestyle (smoking is also bad). They both had successful pregnancies. It is, however, a risk factor for miscarriages.

I have one copy of the gene only my dad tested positive, my mom did not.