My INR number has been steadily declining in the past few weeks and I have smoked some marijuana in the last few weeks and I was wondering how badly this could affect it. My thinks it is because of a prescription of penicillin I was taking. I have also been working out a lot and I am on coumadin. Maybe it is due marijuana effect on coumadin. Does anyone know?

I’m also on coumadin and the similar thing has been happening to me. I’ve looked for information and I have found that marijuana has no effect on coumadin unless you are eating the green leaf, then it would lower the INR. However, I couldn’t find any hard factson the subject. I just read opinions so far.

yea im in the same situtation i had bloodclot dvt. and i was put on coumidan after i was taking lovenox shots an i have been smoking but not alot an i have been fine. an if you dont smoke to much then your tolerance with be low an you only need to take one or two hits an your good.

I have had 2 DVT's and have been on coumadin for over a year.
Sometimes I smoke pot numerous times a day and sometimes only a couple times a week. I dont feel as though it effects my PT/INR levels at all, as long as I take my medicine everyday my level is normal regardless of how much pot I smoke.

I have a question for the smokers what do you smoke your marijuana in?

paper, cigars, or pipe?

i have been on coumadin for a couple of weeks after having been diagnosed with blood clots in both of my lungs. The doctor said that there would be no problems using mari-j , what i suggest is to use a vaporizor it is much better for your health as it does not burn the herb it vaporizizes all the crystals leaving the excess, it conserves ur stash a lot better and the high is a lot cleaner. then you are not inhaling all those toxic carcinogens from the smoke.

i have been on coumadin most of my life and have a pacemaker and i have been smoking bud for the past 2 years pretty heavily and not alot before that and i feel it doesnt affect my coumadin one bit.

I've been on Warfarin (Coumadin) for about 2 years. I've been smoking pot for almost 4 months. My INR has constantly been 2.0 since my medication dosage went from 4 mg to 23 mg. I stopped taking warfarin (it's been an off-season for me) and took a blood test and my INR is now 1.0 (the recommended average). I am now going to test taking a different blood thinner (Agreenox?) since Warfarin is obviously not working for me and take another blood test and see.

My doctor is open minded and also said that MJ would not hurt. It also does help my joints considerably as I have arthritis (disease in a symptom) among a lot of other things.

Im a 33yr old male. I was diagnosed with anticardio lipid syndrome when I was 16, I had a horrible blood clot behind the knee.and had to begin coumadin as a result. I started with 25ml daily. im now on 10-15 daily. I also take procardia for my reinauds, prednezone, and plaquenil. it all ties to each other and Lupus. Ive smoked since just about the same time, ive found that it obviously helps with my appetite, headaches, mood. dizzines It has not had any affect on my INR or in any negative way relating to the medications. I must say that it does prohibit you from being very productive, depending who u are, and u do build up a tolerance so it could get expensive. I was going to write some more but then I got hi. Good Luck.

i am a 33yr old male. i have been smoking sense i was 18. i have been taking coumadin for a year now. i started at 2mgs (warfarin) and now @ 10mgs a day. i think due to the amount i normaly smoke  keeping my INR @ 1.4 ...
 then i got put on 10mgs a day exept 2 days aweek i take 20mgs.  during the first 2 weeks at this amount i smoked a little more then usual due to it being around april 20th. i had my levels checked and it was still 1.4. 
 then i had a tooth extraction and quit smoking for 2 weeks. didnt want a dry socket. my Inr results where 2.4...
 so far my conclusion is marijuana lowers your INR quite abit. my dr. wants my levels to stay between 1.5 -2.0 to thin my blood to keep my heart from working to hard. i suffer from pulmonary hypertension ASD. and have had open heart surgery at age of 13  
 i currently moved to virginia where i dont smoke hardly as much as i did in cali. so the next test will be interesting to me. 

All these replies are about smoking marijuanja, what about eating it (cooking it)? Would that be any different? Does the bud have any vitamin k in it?

Ive 3 open heart surgeries,
aortic root graft,
single bypass,
doulble valve replacement aortic ( mechanical ), tricuspid (animal)
pacemaker

Im 26 years of age, I was diagnosed with endocarditis ( bacteria growth of the heart valves ) its been 6 months from my first open heart surgery, and 3 months from my last 2 open heart surgeries, I must say, Ive struggled with smoking pot for months due to my condition, Although just recently I have lit up n smoke a few puffs,,  2 puffs n i put the joint out,, might have 4 puffs a day,, not smoking everyday,, does not seem to fluctuate my INR levels,, although when i drink liqour it screws with them,, when i drink beer i only take half my dosage that night,, In long story short,, Ive smoked marijuana after open heart surgery and am still here to talk about it and hope to live many more years,, Have a great day thanks for reading

Thank you everyone for your information i could not have it any where else .

Perhaps you are working out more because of the cannabis. Keep up the good work.

You also have to take into consideration that you inr levels can be effected by hundreds of different foods, and the intake of the food your body might be used to having (munchies). So don't go blaming the herb on your inr levels fluctuating. but also to each their own.