I spent 4 nigths in the hospital with a BPE last month. No clotting problems before nor a history in my family so came as a shock. I'm 39 and never had nany heath issues in my life. I was recently diagnosed with Leiden Factor V and told I'll have to take warfarin for the rest of my life. My doctor told me absolutely no binge drinking. (Is there any other kind?) I don't drink every day. But once a month or so I like to buy a case of beer at home or go to Vegas for a few nights and drink while I'm there. On these occasions I will drink 10-16 beers a night. There is no way I will accept not being able to drink beer for the rest of my life. I understand you can't drink on Coumadin (I would never drink one or two beers at a time). What happens if you say you stop taking Coumadin for a few days every month or so and drink? How dangerous? How long does it take for Coumadin to clear your system? The reality is this is what I'm likely to do when I feel like drinking.

I think that this is a double post and I was not aware previously that you have leiden factor v. Especially if you decide to stop taking Coumadin every month for a few days to ensure that you can drink, you are going to put yourself at higher risk for clotting, especially if you keep drinking as much as you do at a time. Again, as I said, it is your decision to make and I am not intending to sound like I am judging you, because I am not. It is your choice to make however.

will one beer a day be bad for me if i am one warfarin a day?

I am on it now for blood clots. I have brrn told by Doctors at VA Hospital, 2 Beers a day MAX John

It has been months since you posted your inquiry.  I hope all is well with you.  I hope you had a talk with your doctor about your intentions to temporarily stop coumadin in order to binge "safely", and then resume coumadin once the binge is over.  THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.  No such thing as binging "safely".  Coumadin takes time to build up to a therapeutic level in your system.  If you stop and then restart to binge drink you will be messing with that therapeutic level.  When a patient is told to stop coumadin temporarily because of say, an upcomming surgery, physicians monitor their blood work even more closely once coumadin is resumed because doses have to be adjusted frequently to get the patient back up to a therapeutic level.  WHILE the patient is off of coumadin their risk of developing whatever problem they were placed on the coumadin for in the first place is greater.  However, the necessity for stopping the coumadin outweighs the risks. Binge drinking does NOT outway your risks.  You may have to decide... Binge drink or possibly die from complications of blood clots or even bleeding out because the binge drinking can also throw you in the other direction of your blood being overly thin (meaining inr HIGH).  Please reconsider.  If you TRULY understand theses risks but you are unable to stop the binge drinking, even if it's only once a month, please consider that you may have an alcohol problem and seek help and guidance immediately.  Also, if you are already binging and taking a short break from your coumadin and you still "seem fine", do not let that lull you into a false sense of security.  What you are doing is playing Russian Roulette.  It really sounds like you may have to choose between your life and binge drinking.  I pray all goes well for you.

This is the professional opinion of a Registered Nurse.

WILL IT EFFECT MY HEATH IF I DRINK 7 OR 8 BEERS A NIGHT.