Hi, father of my friend is 72 years old and few days ago he collapsed in the kitchen. His son transferred him into the hospital where they diagnosed pulmonary embolism. As my parents are similar ages like father of my friend I would like to know what are the symptoms of the pulmonary embolism. In case that something happens I would like to know how to react.

Hi, there are several signs for pulmonary embolism but they are not specific. In the case that something similar happens to your parents it would be the best to call the ambulance and not to do anything by yourself. Signs of embolism are breathing difficulty, lack of air, blue lips, fever and the most important sign is chest pain.

Symptoms of Pulmonary Embolism,
Cough that last more than 5 days, Dry Harsh cough, Extreme tighness in chest wall, Very hard to breath. Sweating, Tingling in legs and fingers, Pain in legs, And finally pain in one or both lungs, I just got out of the hospital after spending 13 days there. First they were treating me for Acute Asthma, mixed with Little Pneumona. Then They sent me home. The next morning the Hospital called and said you need to come back your test score do not meet out standard. Then they kept me for 5 more days. Sent me home again. The next morning my husband said this is crazy took me to ER room and the Doc there said, I think you have a Pulmonary embolism( BLOOD CLOT in one of your Lungs. They did a CT scan and with in 30 minutes they had a positive result. I stayed in hospital for another 5 days with 2 IV's and lots of shots for blood thinner, Then they put me on Coumadin. Now I have to get my blood checked ever 5 days for the next 6 weeks to make sure that the meds are working and get me stablised. You will have to get blood work done called a Coumadin Clinic. They call you every 5 days to tell you how much Coumadin to take. Good luck!

im 18 and when i was 17 i was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolisms and i found that 99% are usually fatal..the symptoms i had are pain in my shoulder and the back of my rib cage on the right side...i also passed out and turned blue and was vomiting....i was life flighted to the pediatrics hospital where i was the first 17 year old to be diagnosed with this disease in there hospital....if you have been diagnosed with this disease you should ask to be tested for something called the factor V lieden because i have it and it was one of the causes of my clots