I am 32 years old and pregnant with my first child. I was told that extra calcium was found in one of the muscles in my baby's heart. I was given a risk factor of my baby having down syndrome. The risk was 1 and 142. I was wondering if anyone had a risk close to mine or if you know some one who had and how did things turn out. HELP: WORRIED AND CONCERNED MOM!!!!!!!!!!!

The risk of your baby being born with Down syndrome rises with your age, that has been proven over the ages of practice - because you are over 30 they had to calculate the risk. Just to give you some comparison, risk factor for women over 40 is 1 in 35 which means, when you translate that into percentages, your risk of 1 in 142 means that there is only 0.7 percent chance that your baby will have the syndrome. Risk factor you were given is a warning, but that warning applies to every women bearing child when over 30.

Thanks Nikols that was helpful!!!!