Hello! I am 36 year-old male. I am healthy, well built, and I have been working out for over 15 years now. However, for the last 5 months I am experiencing low back pain in episodes. This means, the pain comes, stays for a while then goes, and after some time it comes back again. The pain is not so severe, more annoying and discomforting but I am concerned what it may be as it keeps coming back. I an afraid that it could be spinal degenerative diease.
All info is more than welcome!

Well, you may be right. I had similar symptoms before I found out what it was all about. The pain was affecting lower back and it would get much worse if I sat down. Whenever I would get up, and continue standing and walking the pain would subside. So, just like you, I thought that something may not be in order. I had some tests like MRI and some other and they diagnosed me with degenerative disk disease. So, I reckon you shouldn’t wait to long to go and have that checked! Good luck!

I have degenerative disk diease. I am to have spinal fusion in February or March. I am interested to hear of anyone who has had this surgery. I am a 45 year old female. I have worked out a good portion of my life. Please if anyone has a story to tell, write to me:***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web adresses not allowed **

I would like to hear of both good and bad situations.

Thank you.

Have you tried any of the conservative treatments before you decided to have a spinal fusion?
I did, and it lasted for over a year and I got no relief. Doctors didn’t even want to perform a surgery but I insisted. There was nothing to lose except pain. I was in so much pain in the end, that I could hardly get off the floor-where I slept due to pain.

I my self have been jogging all my life, I was even into sports (handball) for some time and after that I took up aerobics. Then they say exercise will protect you from back problems. Yeah, right!

I even gave up smoking. Do you smoke?
As for the surgery, I didn’t feel a thing! Until I woke up! Luckily there were pain meds to help me go through that post op pain. I stayed in the hospital for four days and then I was sent home. They couldn’t tell me when the fusion will take the place and how long it could take because they said it is all individual. They compared it to bone fracture healing. I am four months post op now and haven’t healed completely but I must say I feel very well and am satisfied with the decision I made.

Have you asked questions about your surgeon? Make sure he is good at what he does and experienced.
Good luck!

I to have been told that I have degenerative spine in my lower back, I have told my Dr. how it goes into my hips and both legs and everytime I leave her office she always makes me feel like I shouldn't have that much pain, has anyone had this problem with their Dr. and if so how did you get them to really understand. I have done every thing she has asked me to for pain and nothing has helped me. I know that because of my age,60, it seems to be harder.
Thaks for the help.

i'm 46 now had my first

surgery 2009,back fusion l5 s1 non advasive surgery quick surgery,was in so much pain lasted for months,went back to pain clinic tryed spinal shots again no help, my surgen was done with me come to find out he put the screws right through my nerve colum,everythng came loose screws were shadowing on xrays,so a year later went to ohio state got everything removed and redone with a 5 hr surgery,my back is growing bone for the fusion but the nerve damage is reversable,i did my homework on the first surgen nothing bad about him. i did everything your suppost to, spinal shots,pt,but now 2 surgeries later at 46 within 2 yrs my nerve pain is spreading, my nerves are getting weaker, wondering what to do next. be careful nothing is as easy as thay say it is..been over 14 mons after last surgery still waiting for relief.