I currently have a Morphine Infusion Pump and I'm about to be switched to Dilaudid. My Morphine levels are getting to high and my doctor is unable to increase the concentration of the Morphine for some reason. Does anyone know what side effects I have to look forward to and how well does the Dilaudid work in the pump?

I have always been very sensitive to the levels of Morphine within the pump, ie, when the pump gets low I start to go into opiate withdrawels. Needless to say I am very careful to get my pump filled well before the alarm is activated and the dosage is lowered. So anyway, does anyone out there know what I have to look forward to?

Thank you,

Denise

Iam considering an intrathecal pump. I have already had the trial, I would like any feedback I CAN GET ON THE SUBECT

I've had an intrathecal pump for 12 years. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. I've suffered with neuropathy for 25 years. I am now virtually pain free. I don't understand the person whose pump got so low that the pain came back. the refill time should be well ahead of the alarm date. A couple of years back my Dr. switched me from morphine to Dilaudid because a much lower dose of dilaudid works as well as a high dose of morphine. I became quite sleepy however, falling asleep when ever I stopped moving. I now take Provigil 200 mg daily and am wide awake and alert. I also have Baclafen in my pump because of severe leg cramps secondary to the nueropathy. I hope I have been of some help. My life is great because of the drugs that I am on.

[I have found Dilaudid after major surgery much more helpful than morphine. Dilaudid is between 2 and eight times stronger than Morphine. I believe it is the closest legal substance you can get to heroin.

Hi, have had an intrathecal pump for 8 years, first with Morphine, then Dilaudid - now Sufentanil - changed to dilaudid as the morphine was causing swelling in my ankles, with a build up of fluid - the dilauded was great for a while, then I started getting constipated, and although I took a great deal of 'moving'medication, it continued to be a problem. Now on Sufentanil, which unfortunately gives me muscle spasms, so am also taking Baclofen, to help with this,but it does not seem to help at all - is there anyone out there who is on this Sufentanil in a pump - can only find info to do with anaesthesia re this ! most frustrating. Any info would be welcome

Guest wrote:

Had mine since 7/19/2011. Had been taking 7-9 hydrocode a day.
While I have had 4-5 increases (this is normal in getting it regulated), it's now on 5 ML a day and I have little back pain.
If I do any strenuous work (stack logs, weed eat, wash cars etc) I can get it to hurt, but everyday normal activities are fine.
Good luck, I LOVE MINE!
G Hottum

DeniseH wrote:

Thank you,

Denise

I have a dilaudid pump and it works miracles. Morphine doesn't control my pain at all and never has in hospitals, etc so i have always been switched to dilaudid. I have no side effects from it at all. I am unsure which is the better of the two, but as long as you stay on top of your refills, you should do great.

By the way, I am about to lose my insurance. I am in California and the laws regarding free insurance are terrible - like I have to wait 6 months to qualify. I will be dead in 6 months without my refills. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

DeniseH wrote:

Thank you,

Denise

I just switched from Morphine infusion toDilaudid this week. I was on Morphine for 4 yrs. Dr. Switched me straight across. I am feeling all the side effects listed minus fainting & breathing problems. I can go to ER and haveit brought down but it is a 2 he drive,and then willithappen as they up it again? Maybe iris to early for responding. It took me 2 yrs to get to the Morphine level my body wood allow (11.25) I would like to here replays from others.

Dilaudid will help you with withdrawal symptoms. Your meds are probably being changed due to the frequency of your trips for pump refills. My husband has bilateral avascular necrosis of his hips. He started out with morphine pump after deciding the oral meds were too expensive. His pump was up to almost 20 ml per day. We switched to dilaudid and it seemed to be ok. But, my husband still needs oral pain meds on top of the pump. Hope this helps. And, after reading a lot of the posts about the "high" and blah blah, it makes it very hard for the people who are in legitimate pain to get help. Everyone thinks you are a drug seeker. The doctors are constantly trying to lower the dose, and don't really listen when you tell them it isn't working well enough. Be careful! The morphine and other opiates helped decay my husband's teeth and dropped his testosterone levels.  The doctors did not mention any of this to us until after the fact.  Good luck.

Hi I got a pain pump put in last December. I am not having great results like I thought I would. My legs hurt me so badly most nights I can't sleep. They put me on a muscle relaxer Amerix but it's not helping. I am so frustrated I wish I never had any surgeries.

I wonder if they make a methadone pump? That's what I need. That might be creating a monster though. Beats going to the clinic once a month.

I too have been on the morphine pump for 3 years now. They were think of switching me to Prialt but with my other
meds the side effects were to risky. Plus I refused to go off morphine cold turkey. I want to be switched to dilaudid but have to go to a different pain dr. I too had problems with my teeth in which all had to be pulled and dentures. No one told me either.The pump does help but with morphine I have to have increases every 2 weeks. If anyone is in doubt about getting one, do. It saved my life.

be sure to check out the California Coverage program for Obamacare and pre-existing conditions. Have you investigated COBRA ins ?

I have had all the other things that were to help, morphine did not help at all and they put me on dilaudid, it has helped and I have been on it for about one year as of now, I still have a lot of pain from the waist and down both legs, I can't walk at all at certain times, I can walk to the mailbox at times but the pain always increases, the only way I can live real good with the pain is to stay home and put my headphones on and turn the music up, this works better then any thing, I don't want to discourage anyone but sad to say this is what I have to accept and so I do the best I can, the first thing I do each day is to praise my lovely Jesus and throughout each day, this is only temporary and we can get through it, also be around those ever blessing grand kids and around other positive things and people as best we can, may God bless each of you, have a wonderful God filled day, Sherman Raney

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am considering getting a pain pump next week because my Doctor thinks it would be best. I have nerve damage from my waist down due to having post polio syndrome, spinal meningitis, and now Transverse Myelitis. I live everyday with terrible, excruciating, unbearable pain. I can not handle living this way any longer. My Doc is going to use Dilaudid as the med in the pump. Is this going to help me? Should I ask him if he will use Baclafen in the pump as well? My pump is for my waste down. I have been this way since 1995.I have no feeling (except for fire like burning, tingling, and numbness along with incontinence. I guess my question is does the pump only work for my nerves from my waste down or will it make my whole body feel some what better? I need any feed back possible if anyone can help with answers?