I am a 48 year old male and have had more than 4 back surgeries for my (L3 – S1) lumbar area to include putting in a Spinal Cord Stimulator to help block leg pain. The surgeries have helped a lot and the Spinal Cord Stimulator does indeed block anywhere from 20% - 80% of the pain.

However I have had to remain on very high doses of pain medicine due to undefined bilateral leg pain. The best way I can describe it to people is, “imagine working in your bare feet standing on concrete for 12 solid hours without a rest”. I also have arthritis in my spine and SI joints.

I miss a great deal of work and would not even have a job if it were not for FMLA. Last week I saw my pain doctor. I told him about the amount of time I am missing in spite of the meds I am on but that I do not want "more" medicine. He suggested we do a trial for a Morphine Pump.

I am considering it with reservations. I think my biggest reservation is simply about getting my hopes up again. I don't know if I can face another failure or even partial success. He did say that we would keep my Fentanyl Patch even with a Morphine Pump.

I'm also concerned about doing the trial itself. I imagine I would have to stop my pain meds for a period prior to testing so that I would be in a natural state (of pain). I am afraid of that. What if the trial does not appear successful but would have been if we had proceeded with the pump? What about the reverse (another failure)?

If I remember rightly, my doctor said that as far as side effects go there is little chance for me to have any directly from the medicine because the amount of medicine would be a small fraction of what I have been taking for years and that it would be far more effective since the medicine would go directly into the spinal cord.

In my research the past few days I have read that Morphine is not the only medicine that can be used in a pump; for instance Dilaudid. I don’t know if that would apply where I live. I live in the state of Virginia in the United States. In some back emergencies that I have had Dilaudid was the only thing that helped.

Do any of you patients have any experience to share? Any doctors have some wisdom to shine for me? Thank you ahead of time for your input. I appreciate it.

i just had the morphine pump implanted my hopes where high that this would be it.Now i have a bad infection i dont no the outcome in the next few days i am very disappointed in the pump and i am still having to use the fentanyl patch.what a let down for me.

I am a 49 year female have had my pump for about 4 months i love it i still take some pain med by mouth but nothing like before the only thing i didnt like was that they didnt tell me i couldnt shower for a month after the implant. you should try the temp first its pretty simple overnight in the hospitol and if it works then they will do the other one if it helps i,ve had 4 back surgerys and still have 9 hernaited discs so i know how bad the pain can get

I had the morphine pump last june,right from the start I had a spinal head ache they waited a week to do a blood patch and the head ache went right away .but we have been in the adjustment phase,to get the right amount of morphine.3 weeks ago they tried me on Bupivicaine because I have a Neuroma in the left lower back (S.I, joint) And the med was supposed to work on nerve pain,it went to work alright ,right back to the headache. I just had the Bupivicaine taken out and we are starting back with the morphine,finally got rid of the headache,have also tried ,Dilaudid, Fentenyl patches 2 100's. I used to be an Army Ranger and have had 4 back ,5knee,2 r shoulder,a left foot and numerous other surgeries.So far I am having no relief from the pump,I pray this changes because the trial went very well,so many blessings to you and I pray every thing works out ,just do not give up!!!

I have had my morphine pump for over 8 years now. I suffer from nerve damage in the ganglion impar (tailbone area), severe spinal stenosis at L4/L5, arthritis and degeneration of the spine. Yes, you take a significantly lower dose of medication because it goes directly into the spine where your pain is the worst. When they did the trials I only had to give up my pain meds that day and yes, I was uncomfortable until the medication was injected. If it hadn't been successful I would have just taken my oral meds immediately so don't be concerned about suffering. I had the most difficulty in giving up control. It's very hard to let a computer give you medicine instead of dosing yourself. Once I got past.that I was fine. Yes, they can use almost any medication in your pump. Since dilaudid never worked for me, I went with morphine, but could have had fentanyl and any number of others put in. They can also include other drugs that help with inflammation, etc. too. Likely you may still need some amount of oral meds or a patch for breakthrough pain, but maybe not. The pump can be reversed after you get it, but I don't recommend that except as a last resort. Be sure of wanting the pump beforehand rather than changing your mind later and having it taken out. I wish you much luck!

I've had a spinal cord stimulator for 10 yrs now ans a pain pump for 5 yrs. Doc has used Morphine the entire time. I also take 50mg of Methadone and 200mg of Tramadol on top of the Morphine. Just last Wednesday I asked doc for stronger meds in my pump. (I was getting tanked up with Morphine that day 10/9/2013). Without a hitch he said, "OK, we will switch you to Dilaudid". It's 6 times stronger than Morphine he says! The key here is that I have a PTM (a remote) that doc can set so I can give myself Bolus doses whenever I want. (Up to 6 Bolus doses every 12 hours) It's currently set so I can give myself .50mg every 2 hours on top of the 6mg the pump puts out every 12 hours! Sooooooo..........here in a week I go back and doc will suck out the Morphine and replace it with Dilaudid. I've had it before while in the hospital. Morphine don't even hold a candle to the Dilaudid!!! I can't wait to get my pump filled with the stuff!!! I'm so tolerant to the Morphine it don't even help any more. When I was on the Fentanyl patch's I would just lick them till all the goo was gone. Talk about the sweats.......Wowzzaaa, I sweat!!! Anyhow's,  Dilaudid is the way to go boys and girls!!! If it worked that good by IV in the hospital I can't imagine what it's gonna be like going directly into my spinal canal!!!!!!!

It seems to me if you must lick your pain patch, you might be looking g for more than pain relief! Your choice of wording or better yet way of using your edds, that's meds, is a bit odd in the least! Maybe time to look at that!

i hadi had my pump installed two months ago and im still vomiting ,Im always asleep and migrains,are these normal

bigger