Hi. I have scoliosis. Recently, I have experiences scoliosis severe pain. I would like to hear something about the treatment. I am 29 years old. I am taking OTC pain meds.

Hi. Treatment of scoliosis depends on the cause of your problem, on the size and location of the curve. It also depends on your age. Children usually wear braces to slow the progression of scoliosis. Braces don`t reverse the curve. Curves of 40 degrees require surgery treatment. Surgery can correct the curve and fuse the bones in the curve together. Metal rods will be placed to hold the bones in place. Physical therapy is very helpful. Mild cases of scoliosis require braces. As you grow older, you may experience low back pain. This pain may be severe.

I am 29 yrs old and i had surgery to correct my scoliosis when i was 20. After surgery i felt alright, but not even a yr later i started to experience extreme pain. Turns out that the two stainless steel rods they fused to my spine caused an infection that put me on my death bed. I went to my doctor when i started to experience this pain and he told me i have anxiety, and to just ignore the pain; try to relax. I told him there was something wrong besides anxiety and he basically ignored me and told me to suck it up. 6 months later the infection started to take over. I went back to see him and he told me i had to have emergancy surgery or i will die. After my second surgery i have experienced none stop pain. My ribs shift, my spine is constantly throbing. The pain is so bad sometimes i don't know what to do.

My son had terrible pain from scoliosis. At the age of 22 he was fitted with the SpineCor brace, check it out, I wrote a story on it at macleans.ca. the story's called 'Amazing Brace'. My son now has absolutely no pain. Although he didn't have fusion, the brace can apparently help people who've had fusion, as well. For us, it's been a godsend. If you would like to talk to me about it, please get back to me

My mother had the steal rods put in her back for scoliosis 30 years ago and has lived in pain for many of those years. Now that she is close to 50 her back goes out every few months and is bed ridden for days to weeks at a time. The doctors don't have much to say but give her prednisone steroid for the inflammation. They say they can do a major surgery that MIGHT help and she would be bed ridden for almost a year after the surgery. From what we've heard there are many people in more pain after the surgery. Just curious if anyone has any info to lighten my moms pain. thank you

Hi! I am 37 and was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 13. I have a 73 degree curve. After having the Milwaukee Brace, shock therapy and chiropractic treatment, my doctor recommended surgery when I was 17. My parents refused. My curve is high and I do have a hump back. Sometimes it hurts, but what I have found that works the best is water exercise. Swim laps or water aerobics works wonders on my back. The older I get, the more my back bothers me. However, in an effort to avoid surgery I try to stay active and keep my spine "loose". Good luck.

surgery for scoliosis isn't usually performed unless the curve is greater than 55 degrees.

I had my scoliosis corrected 7 years ago now (98 degree curve) and now live a pain free life! no problems at all!

sorry to hear you guys have had such bad experiences

Hey everyone, My name is tish, i live in florida, and i had scoliosis surgery when i was 14 and now, i am 35 and for the past 4 yrs, i have been in severe pain! My back swells up, my legs swell, especially my right side! I don't have any insurance, and i have to go clinics, that most of the dr's have no clue about my condition! I can't sit for to long or stand for to long, all the things i use to do, i can't anymore, because i'm in so much pain! I'm lucky, if i can get 3 hrs of sleep a night, because of the pain! I applied for disability, about 3yrs ago, and i'm finally going to court in October! My curve in my back was i think 65 on top and either 35 or 45 at the bottom! If anyone, wants to talk about this, i will be happy to answer any questions...

Guest,

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 13 and same my parents opposed the surgery. I am now 55 and have severe pain to swelling from mild household/daily chores. The degeneration of the disks and the curve hitting nerves is the main issue. I have had cortisone for relief and Gabapentin? spelling for nerve pain for relief due to my leukemia. They also signed me up for Pilates to strengthen core to support muscles for the spine. It is not an easy fix as I see but constant work and exercise aa a person ages!

Would it help for someone older. I am 53 with a 43 degree curve.

I was just diagnosed two months ago with scoliosis and I'm 16, the pain is very bad and I don't know what am I supposed to relieve it I pop my back and it doesn't fully relieve it just slightly. I'm finding out the full extent on it on thursday... but I have noticed ever since my backs been hurting worse than usual my ribs have been hurting as well I'm unaware if This is due to scoliosis or just another doctor visit. Any help, suggestions?

I am also an older person with scoliosis, I am 51, I have severe scoloisis with Rheumatoid arthris and osteoporosis and Fibromyalgia III. The pain is extreme. It is difficult to explain to family or friends when your disease is an"invisible" chronic pain. I also fight and an treated for thyroid problems. I have to wonder if these are all connected in some way. A year ago I was scheduled for surgery to correct the scoliosis with spinal fusion from T5-L5, because of insurance complications, the surgery was canceled. I was lucky to have found a caring and excellent pain Doctor that helps me to understand and teaches me to manage the pain. However at times, no matter what medication, exercise or meditation, depression creeps in and takes over. I dont know the answer, surgery or no surgery.

hi .i have a 35 degrees scoliosis curve .......and the only medicine for this curvature is my milwuakee brace and i'm 13 years old...........

I've had horrible scoliosis pain for my whole life! I've finally found success with activator chiropractors, massage therapy and staying physically active and NEVER trusting traditional medicine! It's failed me and many others I know with scoliosis.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

My mom is 87 years old she is going to start 800 milligrams of gabapentin for her scoliosis I would like her to reach 1600 milligrams can you please let me know what you think thank you